Default Volvo Penta TAMD41A valve adjust?

HI, I need to adjust the valves on my TAMD41A engines, I have not got an engine manual to cover this....does any body have a link to the correct pages or the information I need.
    Gap to adjust for inlet and exhaust and if possible which valves to adjust when and if there is a routine to hand crank the engine as little as possible......which will be hard with injectors in and full compression.
    Thanks

Default Re: Volvo Penta TAMD41A valve adjust?

http://boatinfo.no/lib/volvo/manuals/41engine.html#/58 I think is what you are looking for

Fantastic thanks.....looks like I will have fun! I am hoping adjustment may restore performance which is about 10% down on revs to one engine....have checked about everything else with exception of injectors but they run smooth and smoke free.

check your fuel filter assembly if you are short of revs. Check the paper filter and clean out the fuel spinner part, you may be getting gunged up.

done all filters several times primary and secondary filters changed. Also has all new fuel pipes, cleaned/checked lift pumps, intercoolers cleaned out, turbos checked and are fine.
    I agree it is like a blocked filter...had that before we cleaned out the tanks after a lumpy trip when we first got her.
    I have not removed the primary filter units complete though, perhaps I should but they do not look bad looking in the bowls.

For whats involved take the bowls off and unscrew the spinners and check inside them. Sometimes bits of carp collect in them preventing max flow

Clearance hot or cold is 0.40mm or 16 thou.
    Firing order 153624.
    Turn engine over until number 6 valves rocking / open closing then set 1.
    You can do this in 2 revolutions of the engine . 24mm docket on the crank pulley .
    You might need new valve cover gaskets

Unless you have one that’s not allowing the valve to seat thus loosing compression I doubt this is your problem

hi both, I will take the filters apart and do feel fuel could still be it, after buying it (it was a 25 year one owner little used boat) we used it and had a very lumpy trip down to Weymouth from Southampton...stirred up the tans, lost revs down to about 2800 and found filters on both engines absolutely gunged up...port one particularly bad.
    In hindsight it is probably we have never had full revs back..though all filters have been changed several times as said.
    Thanks Volvo Paul for thorough valve adjust details, I know what you say, but somebody who knows his diesels well said it is not unusual for them to tighten no t loosen so possible is one tight enough to lose a little compression.
    I think its time I did them any way ;0)
    Likewise I should service the injectors, (no record of them ever being done in 30 years) though suspect its not the problem, it runs smooth without smoke on both. Indeed the only time we ever had a sooty transom was first proper run after buying it and put it though paces more than it has had in years!
    Last edited by petrolhead63; 27-05-18 at 21:58.

Took Racor units off today, nasty inside the spinners even though they looked nice and clean! both were not nice, black gooey jelly, took some cleaning to get it all out. I can blow through it better now so I am hopeful power/revs may be restored.
    Many thanks for that tip, whether its fixed or not they needed doing.