Default She is on the way to me

Finally, my ordered boat has loaded onto the container vessel yesterday. I have to wait for another 45 days though.

Before she arrives, I would like to have your advices about the following questions:

1. How to check the boat, even she is new?

2. What could go wrong and cause damage during the transportation?

3. How to find the manufacturing fault, if any?

This is my first boat and I am new to boating so I would like to hear any suggestion from you guys.
    If you have any advice other than those questions above, please feel free to let me know.

Thank you very much.

Default Re: She is on the way to me

Exciting days! I’ve had three brand new boats, and luckily never had a serious issue. The dealer prepares the boat and should sort out any problems that they find. They then do a shakedown cruise with you. There will be minor issues, cracks in the gelcote etc, just make a list and the dealer should sort them out (when dealing with boat dealers, patients is a virtue).
    I read the engine hand book long before I receive the boat. The main point is breaking in the engine according to the manufacturers schedule. This usually means (for example) using 25% power for the first few hours 50% for the next etc. Some modern engines require no break in period. When you do the shake down cruise the dealer will want to go as fast as possible to show off to you the immense power of the big Verado. Personally, I don’t like this if it is against the manufacturers recommendation. Read the book and then talk to the dealer.
    Learn patience, after waiting months for my last boat, then waiting for the dealer prepping, the weather was so bad it took another month before it was launched.

The only issue we had with ours was not to do with manufacturing but prepping the hull for anti foul - and that only came to light on her first haul out, when the antifoul could be peeled off in lumps. This was rectified by Darthaven, with all costs covered by the dealer that sold us the boat... Even though 12 months had passed.

Hope all goes well with delivery and commissioning, and we look forward to the pictures.

Exciting times. What boat is she, or did I miss this? Who are the dealers? There may be some prior experience on this forum. Looking forwards to seeing some pics.

The coming boat is Quicksilver 855 weekend, 2018 model.

I am in Taiwan which is in the Far East, very far from Europe.

While waiting for her to be delivered, I would like to hear from all experienced guys here about how to inspect a brand new boat.
    As a fresh new boater, I have a long way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    Exciting days! I’ve had three brand new boats, and luckily never had a serious issue. The dealer prepares the boat and should sort out any problems that they find. They then do a shakedown cruise with you. There will be minor issues, cracks in the gelcote etc, just make a list and the dealer should sort them out (when dealing with boat dealers, patients is a virtue).
    I read the engine hand book long before I receive the boat. The main point is breaking in the engine according to the manufacturers schedule. This usually means (for example) using 25% power for the first few hours 50% for the next etc. Some modern engines require no break in period. When you do the shake down cruise the dealer will want to go as fast as possible to show off to you the immense power of the big Verado. Personally, I don’t like this if it is against the manufacturers recommendation. Read the book and then talk to the dealer.
    Learn patience, after waiting months for my last boat, then waiting for the dealer prepping, the weather was so bad it took another month before it was launched.
    Hi Bouba,
    Thank you very much. Your suggestion about "showing off the engine" is very useful.
    I agree with you that we had better to follow the manufacturer's recommendation. After all, we own the engine not the dealer.
    I will study the user's manual recently.