Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: GRP Future Classics

Quote Originally Posted by sjdtuk View Post
    I have a Nic 45. A bit more managable than the 55 but otherwise very similar. Makes a great family boat and sails beautifully. Needs a fair bit of upkeep and probably not worth that much.
    Definitely qualifies as a “modern classic”! I have sometimes wondered why C&N gave up so quickly on this one; I assume that they were just the wrong side of an IOR tweak of the sort that seemed common at the time. They must have been hugely expensive when new, and perhaps they were at the price point where only the sort of wealthy offshore racers who so dominated sailing in those days could afford them. A truly lovely boat.

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

She 36.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Definitely qualifies as a “modern classic”! I have sometimes wondered why C&N gave up so quickly on this one; I assume that they were just the wrong side of an IOR tweak of the sort that seemed common at the time. They must have been hugely expensive when new, and perhaps they were at the price point where only the sort of wealthy offshore racers who so dominated sailing in those days could afford them. A truly lovely boat.
    Think it was something like £17K in 1972

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Think they gave up as the "oil crisis" hit and no one could afford them.

Probably not of practical interest to you, but J class yachts have what it takes to qualify. Rarity, heritage and drop dead good looks.

Quote Originally Posted by nortada View Post
    I have about 4,000 miles in The Nic 55s.

Great big crew boat and ideal for Joint Services but hardly comfortable and never a family boat so I see no market for them.
    Nic 55 hull #1 (ex-Lutine) recently sold with Berthon. Listed at 450k GBP.
    Last edited by tsenga; 12-07-18 at 12:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Motor_Sailor View Post
    That's what you need for anything to increase in value! Demand must outstrip supply. Rarity alone doesn't do it. A guy along the road has a large car collection, and his rarest is a late 20th century, large executive saloon from Vauxhall. They made very few of them and only two or three still exist. But sadly it's not worth much as no-one wanted them when new and still no-one wants one.

For an old grp boat to be a classic (in the sense it will appreciate in value), there would have to be a real good reason why lots of people would want them. It has to offer something that modern boats don't do without sacrificing all the things a modern boat do better. The Fairey Spearfish has a contemporary deep-V monohedral hull so it goes as well as a modern boat, but with classic styling, heritage and the convenience of a GRP hull. The winning combination!

My tip for the sailing equivalent would be the Hinkley Sou'wester 42. Expensive when new, still sails beautifully, available in only limited numbers and satisfies a 'classic' aesthetic.

However the big driver to whether these boats will really become classic is the attitude of the 'classic boat' world. In the car world there is a simple age stipulation for when your car will automatically be welcome to events. When they reach that age, they become eligible and you are "in the club". But at the moment, there is a real resistance to any old GRP boats being regarded as classics. It's ironic you can have a 'spirit of tradition' boat built in carbon covered wood strip and that's okay with many events, but a Swan 65 is unwelcome. If the classic boat world was ever to universally embrace (as opposed to the odd exception) some designs as GRP classics, then this would see values jump. But it might also see the demand for the smaller wooden boats fall, so it's unlikely to happen.
    I think you would find that she would be welcome at both Cowes Classics and Hamble Classics events. Nic 32's have their own start at CCW.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    Looks like the services Nicholson 55s are currently being sold off https://www.berthon.co.uk/yacht-sale...lson-55-kukri/
    And hardly at classic prices, as presumably need a lot of work to convert from services workboat to Cannes toy.
    Didn't really want a Cannes toy; I reckon this is today’s equivalent of the pilot cutter or smack being sold out of service.

My tatty old Mondeo gives a sense of scale.

Is this the new toy in your collection?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast