Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tender security

Default Re: Tender security

When we were staying in st kitts Frigate bay we watched various tenders visiting the small wooden jetty off the beach and all seemed to chain up dinghy to the pontoons. Didn't seem to be much local theft based on what we saw but it's one of the more prosperous islands with small population . We never padlock tender in uk. One issue have encountered in med is moving of the tender to a large buoy from dock but I somehow doubt this is driven by Italian sense of security for tenders and more due to local marinos not wanting visitors without berths

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipH View Post
    Lift it, lock it or lose it.
    Where is this unsavoury place you sail that these rules apply?

We have as yet never locked a tender when ashore or on board (in Scotland, Ireland, West France and Scandinavia.

Have an old, tatty, Zodiac with an old, tatty DF2.5 and nobody wants to nick it. So far, anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post

We have as yet never locked a tender when ashore or on board (in Scotland, Ireland, West France and Scandinavia.
    With that cruising ground I suspect the crims would be too cold and too wet to come out.

I always lock mine on a 5m length of long link chain. The O/B is locked to the transom with a good quality O/B lock. I am concerned not so much about the the financial loss, although that is a consideration. But losing our well set up RIB in the middle of a cruise would totally banjax the season. BTW I have known of tenders being nicked from England, Scotland, Ireland, France but not Scandinavia but then I haven't been there since 1999.
    Last edited by Hadenough; 14-06-18 at 17:20.

Lorient, just back from a second round Atlantic trip

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post

Have a look at their blog, 000W to 000E
    Ok maybe not 000, they crossed their rtw at 40-50W (?)
    oh no, yet another sailing blog
    http://sybrancaleone.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by colind3782 View Post
    Have an old, tatty, Zodiac with an old, tatty DF2.5 and nobody wants to nick it. So far, anyway!
    Hmm I was in a similar situation with a faded old Caribe with ostentatious patches [ fake] and a 28 year old Johnson. It was left in the water off the stern of my boat at anchor off St Barts secured with a heavy wire cable. It was stolen at night and the cable severed with bolt cutters or similar.

There was a brand new Honda 4st on a big rib totally unsecured on a nearby mooring. The thief passed that up and stole my old Johnson because spares were unavailable and there was a ready market for power heads and lower units. It was later recovered partially dismantled in a house in St Marten along with many others.

I now lift my dink at night.
    Last edited by TQA; 10-06-18 at 21:47.
    Monkey patching programmer [retired ]

It was 2009 that six dinghies were stolen in the night from anchored yachts in the Soline bay of Veruda, just south of Pula in Croatia. The anchorage is large and secure (without concessionary buoys to pay for) that attracts a lot of yachts passing to and from NE Italy to the Dalmatian archipelago, at the south of Istria, especially in late July as the armada of Italians begin the start of their holiday.

The thefts were facilitated by an unpaved road that runs down to the head of the bay where it was established the dinghies were lifted out and loaded onto trailers. My small 2.4m Zodiac and 3.5hp Johnson was not taken but since then I have always hauled the bow well up over the stern after lifting the outboard onto its pushpit bracket. It would make the painter difficult to reach from the water - could be just enough to choose another victim; that plus the relatively low value compared to the larger tenders and engines they did pick.

A thief is normally after the engine not the dinghy. If you have a 2hp engine they aren't desirable to thieves. If you have a Yamaha 15hp Enduro that many cruisers have in the Caribbean then they are very desirable. Fisherman use them all over the Caribbean so there is a ready market for spares and a demand for cheap engines. Security needs to be spot on. We have a lock on the engine and s/s chain to secure the dinghy to the dinghy dock. At night we lift the dinghy along side using the windlass. Where we are now in Panama theft is an issue so the engine is locked to the bracket on the transom and we row ashore. Looking for a 2hp engine ��

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12