Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Default Re: DIY ammeter - dead cool

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Oh that's lovely!!

Played with esp8266's yet?
    You should be able to just use the same arduino code but they can do so much more! With built in wifi you can create you own web page on board, send data to the web if you have access, lots of fun
    I haven't looked at these yet. I was thinking of fetching data from a cheapo eBay Bluetooth enabled device I already use. It also displays V, Ah & Wh measured at the batteries. The standard Jeanneau fitting is rubbish for most readings. Voltage is lower than actual and current draw ignores heating, winch, windlass, inverter etc. I was thinking of piping the total A via Bluetooth and ignoring the measurement via existing shunt. I could also graph V & A over time as the display will handle graphics easily. Might be easier to add Bluetooth to existing unit than replace eBay unit with something Wifi enabled.

I'll certainly look at the esp8266's anyway, thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistroma View Post
    I haven't looked at these yet. I was thinking of fetching data from a cheapo eBay Bluetooth enabled device I already use. It also displays V, Ah & Wh measured at the batteries. The standard Jeanneau fitting is rubbish for most readings. Voltage is lower than actual and current draw ignores heating, winch, windlass, inverter etc. I was thinking of piping the total A via Bluetooth and ignoring the measurement via existing shunt. I could also graph V & A over time as the display will handle graphics easily. Might be easier to add Bluetooth to existing unit than replace eBay unit with something Wifi enabled.

I'll certainly look at the esp8266's anyway, thanks for the tip.
    The esp8266 has a big brother, esp32 which has wifi and bluetooth, never tried the bluetooth but you might be able to get at the data that way. Still dead cheap

I think pvb is being a bit unfair. Arduino , raspberry pi and coding mean nothing to me but a lot of sailors are into this sort of stuff. My only concern is that basic seamanship is forgotten and absolute reliance on electronics takes over without a reality check.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostlymoron View Post
    I think pvb is being a bit unfair. Arduino , raspberry pi and coding mean nothing to me but a lot of sailors are into this sort of stuff. My only concern is that basic seamanship is forgotten and absolute reliance on electronics takes over without a reality check.
    If that's a worry then it isn't really down to the device, makes little difference if you are relying on a chart plotter or a tablet. Anyway, having accurate knowledge of the state of charge and health of your battery bank isn't going to put you on the rocks..

My only concern is that basic seamanship is forgotten and absolute reliance on electronics takes over without a reality check.
    Isn't "basic seamanship" about ensuring the navigability of your vessel and the safety of its crew? If the boat you sail has an alternator and batteries, nav lights powered by electricity and/or electronic nav instruments (sounder, log, never mind plotters) then why on earth would the fashioning of a tool to monitor health of and diagnose problems with your electrical system be anything other than good seamanship?

Certainly a risk with people fairly new to sailing. At least I needed the basics when I started but am forgetting more and more at my age whether or not I use new kit.

I started with a home made log, lead line (with hollow for tallow) and compass. Several longer trips were made with only trailing log, compass and sextant. To be honest, the sextant mainly confirmed that I was somewhere in the North sea and I already knew landfall was >100mn away and I just needed to turn left at that point.

I had never seen an Arduino before but enjoyed spending a couple of days getting up to speed with hardware and programming. I suspect others wishing to dabble would not have a great problem picking up basic sailing either.

I will admit to not having used the sextant in several years. The lead line is still around, I wonder if I could fit a wireless camera to the base. Much better than tallow to determine type of bottom and power cable could have moisture sensors at regular intervals. Nah, better not and would need help with NMEA interface for the plotter.

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    Isn't this rather sad? Is this what boating has become?
    Surely, the thing that unites all of us is our desire to mess around in boats. It takes us to many places that we never expected to go to, it gives us many experiences (both good and bad) that we never imagined we would have and develops many skills and talents that we never thought we could manage. Surely that is something to be applauded, not regretted.

Good news is after finding another library for the current sensor it's even more accurate now, tracks the battery monitor and dc clamp meter very well - guessing around 100mA accuracy, maybe little lower but plenty good enough to show up very subtle patterns not obvious otherwise. Like the fridge pulls a bit more current when it starts up then tails a few hundred mA as it runs. .....
    (13:24 - 13:32 with the old library)

How it's wired >

nice,

now have you played with any of these cheap touch displays? I mean all these data should really be shown realtime on the chart table

My fin stabiliser project is now at a stage that I should work with possibly I2C (3m from control box to display) to connect the teensy doing the "hard" work (sensors-relays) to a due (I have it lying around) with a touch and lcd shield for reporting values and giving instructions to the teensy.

Two way comms and speed of refresh on a 7inch touch screen are new areas and I'm lost...
    For the time being I've added a pot and long wires to alter some stabilisation values, but eventually I want a lot of info to pass back and forth...

cheers

V.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast