Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Practical method to polish diesel / stable door after horse gone.

On closer inspection I found crap in the bottom of the tank which I suspect is water, polishing circuit built - will try it out tomorrow, have got the big lumps out with a manual pump and dosed with Marine 16

Well, that went rather well.
    Thanks for all the advice, the Chinese Wacor Filter was perfect, a small amount of tidying up required and a change of hose tails (found some metric -> 8mm on eBay) and built in the polishing circuit too.

The little 12V fuel pump was powerful enough to hoover the bottom of the tank and remove all the water (of which there was about a quarter cup full) within an hour, did not appear to be any other residue - but seemingly quite a lot of what looked like dust particles though.

After an hour or so of polishing, changing the Racor Filter for a brand new one, changing the engine filter - the moment of truth. Fired up first time YAY! And for some reason sounds an awful lot happier (and quieter which is odd) than it has sounded for quite a while.

One thing I noticed was that the diesel was quite cloudy, polishing it for a bit seemed to clear the cloudy look and it went nice and clear - so I wonder if I've been feeding the donk sub standard fuel for a while and thats been one of the reasons its been down on power, I can hope

Here's what I got out in the first 30 mins. The end result was about another quarter of this. All water and what can only be described as 'debris'!

IMG_4488.jpg

Congratulations! Great result.

Heading slowly to the Med; winters in Yorkshire

I bought one of these to create a polishing system but have yet to install it. It has a filter medium that can be washed in clean diesel and re-used. It was demonstrated at the boat show as a pre filter that can be cleaned and reused, but also as a polishing system. The guy was separating water from diesel and drinking the water!
    https://www.fuel-guard.co.uk/marine/....html?___SID=U

3 years ago I opened the tank for the first time in Calypso’s 17 years. We’d had no problems but the primary filter had the odd blob of what looked like bug.
    I filtered most of the remaining 50L of fuel through one of these types of filter funnel with very fine filter
    https://www.force4.co.uk/force-4-8-y...er-funnel.html

Not sure of the exact model, but the filter element is similar to that of the Fuel Guard (green).

It certainly cleared the cloudiness. After cleaning and discarding the sludge (not vast amounts, but glad I did it), the cleaned fuel was put back into the tank through the same filter for a second time.

No bug on the primary filter on the two changes since, but I must get around to fitting the polishing system!

Sorry if the links have to be copied and pasted but can’t see how to insert link on iPhone. (Edit - I see that this is done automatically!)

I have had diesel bug three times now, in each case on a boat that I had just bought. After treatment none of them has ever happened again, and in the last case its some 9 years ago.

In all cases the tank has been emptied and cleaned within. On one occasion, a Moody which had a top inspection hatch, I used Gunk and a pressure washer to clean, then pumping out any remnant water and using SWMBO's hair dryer to dry the inside. The dirty diesel was decanted into 5 gallon containers, treated with bug stuff and left to settle for a month. The clean diesel that came to the top was reused on the boat.

If filling from an emergency back up container, I always syphon rather than pour.
    this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

All this advice is great!

One thing I am taking away with me is that I can't entirely trust the diesel I purchase and that leaving it in a can isn't doing me any favours.
    Having said that - the new filter seems to be the way ahead and after watching it gather the water out of the fuel in front of my eyes - I'm a convert.

Still can not work out what the foreign object was, perhaps I don't want to know.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234