Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: Studland Bay - what you need to do

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Well as Lt Colonel Jack O' Neil of Stargate SG1 would say, ' Spank Me Rosey ! ' Tranona seems to agree with something I said !
    Not difficult when facts are involved. Another story when it is about opinions and garbled secondhand memories, though!

Meanwhile (this doesn't look good for boaters):

Dear all we had an amazing and very positive meeting with Michael Gove MP (Minister for the Environment) and Sir Hugo Swire MP (who kindly organised it with his amazing team, thanks Sue and Stewart) yesterday at the DEFRA HQ in London. We went to talk about the curio trade and making Studland Bay a Marine Conservation Zone and Michael Gove is very supportive of taking positive action on both which is amazing news.

He fully understands and is supportive of making Studland an MCZ as the most imnportant site for Spiny Seahorses and seagrass in the UK and as well as being a seahorse lover he sees it as a nationally important species. I was very impressed with his understanding of seahorses and their ecological position in our seas. We came away with a number of crucial action plans and we hope to get on with them asap.

Without all of your support none of this would happen so thank you (and especially to our Illegal trade team)

In the picture from left to right is Sir Hugo Swires MP, Teresa Sinclair (illegal trade team member), Michael Gove MP and myself

temp.jpg.jpg

That's good, he's had his turn. Swires is not the only MP involved, by a long way.

Better still, we were all so focused on Studland we missed the fact that the Norris to Ryde MCZ proposal has NOT been included in T3. This is a major eelgrass bed in the Solent which includes the important Osborne Bay anchorage which services Cowes. One of the main reasons given is because of it's importance as an overspill area to Cowes - something BORG has always majored on. This leaves Bembridge, which includes the anchorage at Priory Bay, and Studland.
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk

[QUOTE=Elecglitch;6458464]Meanwhile (this doesn't look good for boaters):

...... He fully understands and is supportive of making Studland an MCZ as the most imnportant site for Spiny Seahorses and seagrass in the UK .....

/QUOTE]

The numbers of seahorses seen recently in Studland Bay are 2014, one; 2015, two; 2016, zero; 2017, one. Perhaps it’s pushing it a bit to call it the most important seahorse site in the UK?

Actually Studland Bay does host one of the largest (I think) eelgrass beds in the UK – and the beds are still expanding. Strange how it is also one of the busiest coastal anchorages as well. That does rather suggest that claims that anchoring destroys the eelgrass are a load of BS.

It is good news that the Osborne to Ryde MCZ is not being designated, although I’ve found no commentary about that. When, like Studland Bay, it was not put forward in the second tranche, Defra gave this explanation:
    This site would affect a range of sectors if designated. The greatest costs would be to
    recreational boating (anchoring) with approximately 36 yachting, sailing clubs and
    recreational organisations using the site. This sector has raised concerns regarding safety
    issues over potential anchorage restrictions in the sheltered bay which is one of few places
    around the island offering protection from the strong tidal currents.
    This site also includes the passenger ferry terminal which overlaps with the sheltered
    muddy gravel and is immediately adjacent to the seagrass beds…….
    ……… We consider that further work is needed to explore the scope for developing local solutions
    on this site before it can be proposed for designation.

Perhaps good sense has prevailed.

Good sense has also been applied to the Yarmouth to Cowes site: the boundaries were changed to exclude Yarmouth Harbour and the coast to the west of it, where there are eelgrass beds. This means that there should be no anchoring restrictions in the whole of the Solent proper, which is a good outcome for common sense.

So it seems that socio-economic costs are being considered, and it might be that there is all to play for in the Public Consultation over Studland Bay, and perhaps the eelgrass beds in Priory Bay. All contributions to the Public Consultation must be in by 20th July!
    Last edited by MarlynSpyke; 15-06-18 at 18:04.

Nortada,

would you care to suggest another safe anchorage protected from the prevailing SW gales between the Solent and Brixham ?
    I was referring to safe havens, if you are seeking refuge in a gale, stipulating anchorages only, immediately leaves you open to all sorts of questions and diversions, which is the last thing you want if you are trying making an argument.

I made my initial observations in the hope that the safe havens/anchorages suggestion would not detract from the thrust to keep the status quo in Studant. I would suggest this continuing debate on safe havens is doing just that❗️
    Last edited by nortada; 15-06-18 at 19:33.
    Hoping for the best but planning for the worst‼️🇵🇹

I didn't' think a ' safe haven ' term required any arguing about for a soaked, tired skipper - rather a job for an insurance accountantant safely tucked in ashore
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

I didn't' think a ' safe haven ' term required any arguing about for a soaked, tired skipper - rather a job for an insurance accountantant safely tucked in ashore
    Think you and I are in different debates. I am offering thoughts on making a strong, water-tight argument.

You are just trying to score points.

My tactic if my brief was to challenge an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by nortada View Post
    Think you and I are in different debates. I am offering thoughts on making a strong, water-tight argument.

Too many seem to think that they really don't have to persuade anyone and that the world will come round to see it all from their point of view as if by magic.

Quote Originally Posted by nortada View Post

My only ' tactic ' here is to show the SHT for the misleading selfish shambles that it is - BORG are offering the ' watertight argument ' without any help from me !
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

My only ' tactic ' here is to show the SHT for the misleading selfish shambles that it is - BORG are offering the ' watertight argument ' without any help from me !
    Agree.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast