Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Default Re: Studland Bay - what you need to do

Is there any room for a compromise scenario:
    A reserved, clearly marked area for the sea horses to thrive and a clearly marked area for anchoring so that both sides can claim a result.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    In your remarkably spelled opinion only, not the real world - nobody thinks Lulworth Cove is a safe refuge as you've previously suggested - I will not bother replying to your strange posts any more.
    I'm sure that the poor chap will be devastated. Meanwhile the task at hand is to persuade politicians (or rather a particular politician), not sailors, that anchoring in Studland Bay should not be restricted. The fact that it has been listed for consideration does rather indicate that even officials are unconvinced by the boaters arguments thus far put forward.

Thumbs up Re: Studland Bay - what you need to do

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    In your remarkably spelled opinion only, not the real world - nobody thinks Lulworth Cove is a safe refuge as you've previously suggested - I will not bother replying to your strange posts any more.
    Don’t think I suggested Lulworth as a safe haven - just a stopover, which I have done on a number of occasions in settled conditions. When heading west it makes a convenient start point to round The Bill and cross Lyme Bay.

No longer replying to my strange posts!

Can I take it you mean across the board?

Great!
    Last edited by nortada; 21-06-18 at 21:58.
    Hoping for the best but planning for the worst‼️🇵🇹

Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post
    I'm sure that the poor chap will be devastated. Meanwhile the task at hand is to persuade politicians (or rather a particular politician), not sailors, that anchoring in Studland Bay should not be restricted. The fact that it has been listed for consideration does rather indicate that even officials are unconvinced by the boaters arguments thus far put forward.
    Not devistated, more relieved.

My suggestion is that Studland is the only safe haven for miles around (#4) is, at least, questionable and could weaken the whole argument to maintain the status quo at Studland.

The continuing debate on this side issue is a distraction that has rather made my case.

Closer to home we have a similar (but not the same) issue on restrictions on boating. http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...the-Blackwater.

And then there is the seals in the Walton Backwaters.

Fortunately, in our area waterborne activities put far less pressure on the environment but the twitchers still have their day!
    Last edited by nortada; 21-06-18 at 22:33.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Is there any room for a compromise scenario:
    A reserved, clearly marked area for the sea horses to thrive and a clearly marked area for anchoring so that both sides can claim a result.
    Would seem a good compromise but would the bug huggers accept this or would they continually attempt to reduce the area for anchoring?

It is my understanding that once declared a MCZ, it is relatively easy to increase the restrictions?
    Last edited by nortada; 21-06-18 at 21:15.

Quote Originally Posted by nortada View Post
    Would seem a good compromise but would the bug huggers accept this or would they continually attempt to reduce the area for anchoring?

It is my understanding that once declared a MCZ, it is relatively easy to increase the restrictions?
    seahorses aren't the main issue. It's the preservation of the eelgrass that is the main objective. Fixed or mobile VNAZ zones is one option DEFRA put forward. But if anchors are not harming the stuff, whats the point? Nortada is right, once designated, any idiot can claim 'damage' to his favourite wriggly and get further restrictions in place, even on a 'just in case' basis. Its called the 'precautionary principle'.
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk

Quote Originally Posted by oldharry View Post
    seahorses aren't the main issue. It's the preservation of the eelgrass that is the main objective. Fixed or mobile VNAZ zones is one option DEFRA put forward. But if anchors are not harming the stuff, whats the point? Nortada is right, once designated, any idiot can claim 'damage' to his favourite wriggly and get further restrictions in place, even on a 'just in case' basis. Its called the 'precautionary principle'.
    I was afraid of that.

As you see, one thing I am doing is to try to keep this thread alive in the YBW so more people will see it and hopefully add their comments in support. Easy and more the merrier!

One weakness, unlike normal posts, as Studland Bay - what you need to do, is a sticky, latest posts do not appear on the Scuttlebutt Line on the Forum Menu

Please forgive my ignorance but is there a petition to parliament running on this issue? It is my understanding that if there are enough signatories, consideration has to be given to debating it on the floor if the house?

A Parliamentary Question is another useful weapon - in my day job, my bosses lived in daily fear of PQs and because of the extra work they caused - so did we!
    Last edited by nortada; 22-06-18 at 08:34.

Quote Originally Posted by nortada View Post
    Please forgive my ignorance but is there a petition to parliament running on this issue? It is my understanding that if there are enough signatories, consideration has to be given to debating it on the floor if the house?
    Well yes but no. 10,000 petitioners (which the recent lobster pot petition just scraped) will invoke a 'response' from the Government. Yes, an actual letter, printed on real paper (or maybe it's not; I haven't checked that bit). Ten times that, and the petition is 'considered' for debate in Parliament. That doesn't guarantee it parliamentary time (and nor, of course, should it - that's what we have an elected Government for), much less any particular outcome (and nor should it - that's what we elect representatives to Parliament for).

A handful of petitions have exceeded 100,000 names: anti-war motions, NHS activism, Brexit (to stop the Government distributing pro-EU Referendum leaflets; to have a second EU referendum), to stop allowing immigrants into the UK, to block the President of the United States of America from~ entry into the UK, to have votes of no confidence in Jeremy Hunt (twice!) and in the Prime Minister. Good luck invoking the same level of national excitement about the eelgrass in Studland Bay.

If you want to do something, do something. Lobby, make a case, do some research, present it and follow up to discuss it, do some research and co-present a Channel 4 documentary on how a one-man special-interest group takes the Daily Mail and the Poole Advertiser along with it on a false prospectus. If you want to feel good, wear a yellow ribbon or 'sign' an electronic petition. Or go sailing - it's far healthier!

Sea Horse Trust raised 120k signatories to get Studland included in the second round of MCZ recommendations. DEFRA ignored it, and not just because the wording clearly untrue and designed to mislead petitioners. Whitehall is well aware that 'signing' an online petition is too easy and requires neither thought nor effort, so they are devalued, and 100k signatories is of far less value than lobbying or written submissions.

It is a favourite criticism of BORG that we are just ' a few enthusiasts (troublemakers?) sitting at our computers' and we have no real support. Thats why it is so essential that every one of us stands up now and is counted by responding to the Public Consultation.

If you dont, then i fear Mike Simons and I will have very largely wasted our time.
    Last edited by oldharry; 22-06-18 at 09:08.
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk

PM sent.

Possibly out of area boaties should lobby their MPs? Especially the one for Margate!

Today Studland - Tomorrow the World!
    Last edited by nortada; 22-06-18 at 09:41.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast