Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Newbie question: sunseeker manhattan 50 - long distance trip.

Quote Originally Posted by seastoke View Post
    very good points but does not help the op
    Shoot me for replying to another forumite's post then

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Shoot me for replying to another forumite's post then
    had my licence revoked you are lucky

very good points but does not help the op
    had my licence revoked you are lucky
    Two very good points that will help the op immensely.

Damn, I've fallen into the "pointless good points replies" trap.

I have been chatting to the owner in the meantime so it looks like we'll be going pretty slow from Sardinia to Messina where we will refuel after which we may pick up the pace a bit. Using an online map it looks to be a 350 mile run. The rest of the trip is something over 250.

I had a look at some youtube vids … seems that cooking underway is not really practical … no gimbals in any of the vids I saw.

Anyway ticket booked and looking forward to it. Not quite a bucket list item but it will satisfy my curiosity and would tick an rya box or two if the fancy ever took me.

Quote Originally Posted by mcaquestion View Post
    it looks like we'll be going pretty slow from Sardinia to Messina where we will refuel after which we may pick up the pace a bit. Using an online map it looks to be a 350 mile run.
    Considering the distance you are talking about, I suppose you are leaving Sardinia from far North, Olbia possibly?
    If so, of course the shorter route is straight to Messina, but 'fiuaskme me, 350Nm in the middle of the Thyrrenian sea, with a 50 footer designed for speed but constrained to single digit for range reasons, ain't exactly my idea of pleasure boating.
    I understand that it's a job for you, but if you want to get it done asap (and arguably more safely), I'd rather head S along the E Coast of Sardinia, in one go from Olbia to Villasimius, refuel there, cross to Trapani, and from there it's all coastal cruising alone the N coast of Sicily. All at the fastest speed you can fancy, with no range problems whatsoever.
    Can't tell by heart how much more Nm you would make compared to those 350 (it's essentially two legs of a triangle vs. its hypotenuse), but the possibility to make it at P vs. D speed means that it's going to be much quicker anyway.
    Not to mention that this way you would never be at more than 70Nm or so max from a safe harbor (as opposed to 170Nm in the straight passage).
    As an aside, along that route there are some of the most beautiful spots in the whole Med (arguably in the world), but I'm not going to make suggestions if you couldn't take your time to enjoy them anyway. If interested, just ask!
    Anyway, fair winds, whatever your final choice - particularly if you'll go for the straight passage!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123