Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Newbie question: sunseeker manhattan 50 - long distance trip.

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Where do you get epirbs for £150 J?
    First one I found

https://www.marinesuperstore.com/saf...CABEgLjyvD_BwE

I seem to remember paying a bit less.

Google services as well as how to change a lightbulb advise ..... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Let me Google that for you Pete ;-)

I bought one of these a few months ago.. close to J's estimated price - http://www.sailsmarine.com/ItemDetai...2750&l=g&cc=GB
    But that is a PLB (which is actually what was implied earlier) not an EPIRB which is much more sophisticated and linked to the boat rather than a person. They are twice the price, reflecting the additional features.

Yes you are right on reflection.

I assumed the auto ones were just for offshore sail boat. EPIRB in my case being a generic name

It was the suggestion that you could buy an EPIRB for £150 that made me ask.

So if I'm going 50 miles offshore do I need a big expensive EPIRB or will a PLB suffice?

It was the suggestion that you could buy an EPIRB for £150 that made me ask.

So if I'm going 50 miles offshore do I need a big expensive EPIRB or will a PLB suffice?
    I thought that a PLB would be fine for the type of cruising we do, plus DSC, liferaft, floating grab bag et al.

As ( clearly!) I don't really differentiate between the 2 I think the key difference is that the EPIRB is (a) automatic and (b) floats and looks after itself.

The PLB has to be activated and held up etc to transmit.

The effect after that is the same and hopefully you all get a free helicopter ride.

For a journey in bad weather with the risk of immediate sinking then they would not be suitable. I have convinced myself that in the med I am more likely to have a mechanical / medical issue or somehow sink slowly whilst we all gracefully decant into the Williams and life raft!

Quote Originally Posted by mcaquestion View Post
    From what I read the 50 seem to have 2500 litres fuel and twin 715hp volvos. What kind of strategy would be likely on 600+ mile delivery trip in the med? If you run the motors at 1000-1100 rpm,
    At that kind of rpm, youre likely to be doing around 10-11kts and consuming 50lph of fuel which will only give you a 500nm range with 10% reserve. In a 50 footer you are very much pushing the bow wave at that speed and you'd be far better advised to drop down to below hull speed at around 8kts at which speed youre likely to be consuming 15-20lph which should give you around a 900nm safe range

Having said this, if this is a commercial delivery, time is money and the delivery skipper won't be interested in saving fuel for the owner so it is far more likely to be pedal to the metal at around 25kts and a route which has 1 or 2 fuel stops

Not sure if anyone has made this point but the extra engine hours accrued from pootling may diminish any fuel savings.

I think you need to push the throttles forward.

Not sure if anyone has made this point but the extra engine hours accrued from pootling may diminish any fuel savings.
    Actually I've made that point before on the forum and until buyers start assessing boats on total fuel burnt rather than engine hours it is going to be an issue. When I look at a boat to buy I try to check the total mileage (usually shown on the speed log) as well as the hours to calculate the average speed. If you find a boat that has done 500hrs and 15000nm, run a mile

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Actually I've made that point before on the forum and until buyers start assessing boats on total fuel burnt rather than engine hours it is going to be an issue. When I look at a boat to buy I try to check the total mileage (usually shown on the speed log) as well as the hours to calculate the average speed. If you find a boat that has done 500hrs and 15000nm, run a mile
    very good points but does not help the op

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast