Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question NASA AIS Engine testing

My ‘new’ boat is fitted with a NASA AIS Engine connected to a Garmin 540GPS . As our home waters are in a relatively quiet area for large shipping (Cardigan Bay) we don’t get many ships transmitting an AIS signal, so I am having difficulty in working out if the AIS/Garmin set up is actually functioning. Apart from sailing 30 miles down the coast to wait for the Irish ferry to leave Fishguard and pick up their AIS transmission can anyone suggest a way of checking if the AIS is working?
    Last edited by Praxinoscope; 14-06-18 at 14:25.

Default Re: NASA AIS Engine testing

When I had one, many years ago I got a test bit of software from NASA, but my engine was running on a PC.

Hi Tranona

Thanks, I assumed there was a bit of test software, but as you say yours was connected to a P.C.

Praxinoscope

Two sources come to mind, one a local yacht with a transponder through a club (surely one exists locally), and two, the local lifeboat might have a scheduled trip (i assume they have transponders and am not suggesting you summons them).
    Oh that level of paucity might exist in the solent.....

Hi Blan321
    Thanks for your suggestions, I think the lifeboat might be the best option, we usually know when they are out on practice.
    I can sympathise with you on density of traffic around South Coast, but envy you the numerous harbours and anchorages.

Praxinoscope

Why not give NASA a call. I found them very helpful setting mine up and testing it from home.

The little green ED under the power LED flashes when a message comes in, so if you see that flashing then you know *something* has come in. It also sends a test message when you turn it on though with no lat or long it might no get displayed on the garmin.

Hi GHA

Thanks, the tip that the AIS sends a test message when switched on is useful, we have so little AIS activity in this area I could wait weeks for the green LED to flash with an incoming message.

Check your location on one of the web based ais sites and if there are targets shown there within 5-6 miles you should also receive them.
    www.marinetraffic.com
    www.shipais.com

Look out for the CG helicopter based put of Caernarfon as another AIs source. I have tracked it over 40 miles away. It's height plays a great advantage for reception. . It happens to use our home port as a way point. I believe one pilot lives in the village! Open CPN has a brilliant display for it unfortunately it shows as a green fixed wing plane icon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast