Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Girls for Sail

Default Re: Girls for Sail

Sounds suspiciously like a case of 'learned helplessness'.

What you really need is to spend an hour practicing knots, with the aid of a good book or a few of those animated videos on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Oh, do you still have your Gib'Sea 96 asks Gib'Sea 96 owner?

I can't understand why men like to do the driving and leave the deck work to their female friends when coming along side or picking up a mooring.
    From my experience, it is a matter of confidence. We are all familiar with "women drivers"...(ducks and runs for cover)... trying to parallel park and making a mess because they have convinced themselves it is too difficult.

Now consider a "woman driver" parallel parking a monster that is four times as big as an average car and moves of it's own (wind, tide etc).
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Brave man

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    From my experience, it is a matter of confidence. We are all familiar with "women drivers"...(ducks and runs for cover)... trying to parallel park and making a mess because they have convinced themselves it is too difficult.

Now consider a "woman driver" parallel parking a monster that is four times as big as an average car and moves of it's own (wind, tide etc).
    Ive taught loadsa ladies how to sail and manouver boats. Not a problem. Taught my wife too and she is now an ocean yachtmaster.

Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Ive taught loadsa ladies how to sail and manouver boats. Not a problem. Taught my wife too and she is now an ocean yachtmaster.
    This is when down-vote and up-vote buttons would be good.

As a woman driver (and YM) who parks both cars and boats, I prefer parking boats... and no, not because the fenders are more forgiving. There are a few times when a parking space is a bit tight when I do wish you could ferry glide a car

Quote Originally Posted by Applespider View Post

As a woman driver (and YM) who parks both cars and boats, I prefer parking boats... and no, not because the fenders are more forgiving. There are a few times when a parking space is a bit tight when I do wish you could ferry glide a car

There's a film (docu-drama type thing, lots of original colour footage including both Southern Ocean gales, and wet bikinis but not simultaneously..) coming out in March about Tracy Edwards, racing 'Maiden', in the 5th Whitbtread Race with an all-female crew. Just seen a trailer and it looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Applespider View Post

You missed the bit where I said.. "they have convinced themselves it is too difficult".
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

You missed the bit where I said.. "they have convinced themselves it is too difficult".
    That unfortunately is the view of my wife, together with the fear that if she hits anything I would be angry and shout at her.

Sign on my boat " I am the captain of this ship and I have my wife's permission to say so"

Swmbo did go on a girls only sailing last time we were in the UK. She hated the female owner/skipper but the male replacement skipper she loved.

Portsmouth to Cowes was quite rough. The following day the weather cleared up so she sailed back instead of taking the ferry.
    Last edited by Rogershaw; 23-02-19 at 09:28.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

There is absolutely zero reason a girl should not drive a boat into the berth.

That said, I can see zero reason she should either; although there seems to be an underlying notion here that it might be better to reverse the normal roles?

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 ... LastLast