Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415
Results 141 to 148 of 148

Thread: Girls for Sail

  1. #141
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    4,893

    Default Re: Girls for Sail

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingGoose View Post
    iF YOU THINK i was dimishing this
    Please just stop.

  2. #142
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    The Known Universe
    Posts
    1,074

    Default Re: Girls for Sail

    Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    Please just stop.
    It was a caps error , please stop harassing me ,
    Flying birds have no master

  3. #143
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    961

    Default Re: Girls for Sail

    I also have absolutely total respect for Georgina.
    It is best if she remembers that the statements and questions from others say more about them than your good self.
    I wish you all the best for the future. Please keep putting the record straight about this company.

  4. #144
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Girls for Sail

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingGoose View Post
    Not at all , I watched your interview and then read the story as some things were different I was trying to say that this could be because of stress and potential PTSD , In which I have suffered
    We will always be angry and upset if we feel violated as you have been, this is complelty normal if you think I was dimishing this then I apoliges this was not my intent, only you know what happened on that night and no one should doubt you ,i was mearlt asking questions that come naturally to me . we are not all the same and people will ahve diffrent views and opinons and though processes , and see things that people missed or misiterpretated , I am afraid that is my problem (ASP. Syn)
    I was not in any way trying to upset you or make out you were lying these are your words not mine I was only looking at the facts before me.
    I am sorry if you took anything the wrong way , and upset you this truly was noT my mission , I see only black and white Im afraid and it can be written in 2 dimensions on paper but 3 dimension face to face , this is the problem with Forums as we read we forget to re read and we try to decihper meaning to the words and it can all go wrong very quickly
    As always good luck in your journey and may you find peace
    FG I appreciate your apology, thank you. No offence taken, you are right, the written word is not always reliable as a reflection of what people are trying to say, there is no tone of voice.

    I'm not sure if the presss coverage is 'inconsistent' with what I've said on here, I don't think the facts are any different, but it was more limited. Articles have word limits and my interview on the BBC (I also gave one to ITV London News) was only about eight minutes long. Everything I have said has always been consistent, it's easy to be consistent if you are telling the truth because you don't have to remember what lies you told, you are basing what you say on real memories.

    Thanks for your good wishes.

  5. #145
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    River Dart
    Posts
    1,513

    Default Re: Girls for Sail

    Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    In our case, I've tried to encourage Milady to take the helm while I do the leaping around when picking up a buoy or coming alongside, but she prefers me to drive. She will take the helm briefly while I sort out sails or when anchoring (no windlass = no lass), but is nervous about helming at close quarters.
    +1. Iíd LOVE mine to do more close-quarters handling, but she is always worried about pranging our boat or someone elseís. She much prefers to step ashore (no jumping) when we dock, and slip the midships warp over a cleat. We then sort the warps together. She will, reluctantly, helm us up to our mooring while I pick it up, but only because itís relatively uncrowded.

    Iíve realised that the only way to help her to improve her confidence and reduce her fear of making a mistake is to hire an instructor who will coach her to do the manoeuvres while I absent myself totally from the cockpit. Itís all about practice and confidence-raising. Working on that solution now!

  6. #146
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.
    Posts
    7,900

    Default Re: Girls for Sail

    First Mate does ALL our close quarters manouvering. She has just had a hip replacement and it fell to me and a chum to take her to the annual haul out 2 weeks ago.

    It all went well, but I was apprehensive coming alongside and turning as I had never done it in this boat!

    I agree with you getting another to do the training-FM certainly takes little notice of me!

    She publicly states she is a control freak. She took to motorbike racing like a duck to water.

    Her philosophy was simple-she often told others "If anyones going to break my neck it will be me! "

    So, I run around with the warps and fenders, she steers and manouvers our heavy long keeler with lots of windage.

    Respect!

  7. #147
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    River Dart
    Posts
    1,513

    Default Re: Girls for Sail

    Oh dear. I hadn’t quite reached the part of the thread where Georgina had started to post, which makes my “reply with quote” appear rather randomly unconcerned about the preceding content.

    Georgina, my heart goes out to you. I’m so glad you joined the forum and posted. I think anyone who reads your comments will be the better for it. All power to you.

  8. #148
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,371

    Default Re: Girls for Sail

    Quote Originally Posted by gfssurvivor View Post
    Oh and finally...

    I did what I did because after my exoerience I realised that the selling point of GFS - empowering women to sail without men, presenting them as equals in a male-dominated world - was absolute bollocks. The company name was a pun on prostitution, women were trivialised by the company...

    ...I hope I don't come across as a obsessed writing all this, it is good to have the opportunity to stick up for myself, I spent months and months doing that, so an hour or two writing these messages is nothing. I'm grateful also that although my story sunk without trace (no pun intended) in the sailing press, perhaps because it reflected badly on the RYA, Yachting and Boating World ran it, so if this is read by the moderators, thanks for that. x

    Fully agree with your first para, although from a tactical perspective it did hold back one half of the population from calling out an incompetent (from a sailing perspective) and what increasingly appears to have been a deeply disreputable organisation. One suspects the RYA to be part of this group and its silence is hardly becoming.

    And no you don't seem obsessed, you're hardly doing a Liam Neeson, just finding a personal route out of a happening within a jurisdiction with notoriously weak laws.

    In that light, something must have drawn you to sailing, as at some point it did us all. So if you fancy, do feel free to stick around, there are incidentally occasional forum meets and I know you and your children would be more than welcome on many boats.

    Either way, good luck, best wishes, and fair winds.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to