Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 148

Thread: Girls for Sail

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SW Scotland
    Posts
    19,166

    Default Re: Girls for Sail

    Quote Originally Posted by skipper_stu View Post
    Hang on, womens only weeks? Why cant we have men only weeks? Oh I forgot, positive discrimination is ok!
    Quote Originally Posted by bedouin View Post
    I think most weeks probably are men only weeks
    Single-sex provision of activities is legal in a number of situations. The most applicable one here is probably that it's fine when participation by one sex is far less than by the other. So, for example, it's fine to run women-only courses in areas dominated by men (which would include sailing, as you say) and to run men-only courses in areas dominated by women, like dance. There's some guidance on the legalities from Women in Sport at https://www.womeninsport.org/wp-cont...ship-Teams.pdf.

    Similarly it is perfectly legal to provide services to certain age groups, so it's fine for Kirkcudbright Swimming Pool to offer 50+ sessions, just as it's fine for Castle Douglas Swimming Pool to offer women-only and men-only sessions.

    There is no such thing as positive discrimination - at is an oxymoron.
    It's a widely used term with a clear meaning.Generally the only people who object to it are those who benefit from unspoken forms of it.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    solent
    Posts
    1,954

    Default Re: Girls for Sail

    It is a shame if they have folded, women are of course the master race, and here only to be admired and worshipped by us mere males.
    We are out of the loop in all their schemes and plans as we cannot hook up to the mother brain. I have seen them doing just that, they go to information centres called hairdressers where large devices are lowered over their heads, or special devices pointed at them, and the download from the mother brain begins.
    Like Borg, they are one, and resistance is futile. If you have one you love, treat her well. They are a benign species and seem to like to keep us as pets if we behave. I adore them.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    24,078

    Default Re: Girls for Sail

    Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Single-sex provision of activities is legal in a number of situations. The most applicable one here is probably that it's fine when participation by one sex is far less than by the other. So, for example, it's fine to run women-only courses in areas dominated by men (which would include sailing, as you say) and to run men-only courses in areas dominated by women, like dance. There's some guidance on the legalities from Women in Sport at https://www.womeninsport.org/wp-cont...ship-Teams.pdf.

    Similarly it is perfectly legal to provide services to certain age groups, so it's fine for Kirkcudbright Swimming Pool to offer 50+ sessions, just as it's fine for Castle Douglas Swimming Pool to offer women-only and men-only sessions.



    It's a widely used term with a clear meaning.Generally the only people who object to it are those who benefit from unspoken forms of it.
    None of the exceptions would apply to a company set up to run women only sailing courses although they would make it fine for a company that offered courses to everyone to offer women only weeks alongside mixed ones.

    In fact I don't have a problem with this - I think the discrimination legislation goes too far. There is no problem with girls only sailing companies provided men are not excluded from the sport. The problem is where people have double standards - they object to discrimination against women while applauding it against men,

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,621

    Default Re: Girls for Sail

    Quote Originally Posted by ashtead View Post
    Did they not have some local difficulties with a property with no locks in the WI ? I cannot recall all the facts but an allegation of poor security but I msure others might know more. Maybe they have closed the company and will resurface under a new brand next week? The abandoned car people carrier was hardly a positive endorsement though whatever other goood services they offered afloat .
    They did, if was rather more serious than that and is easily googleable, but I presumed long enough ago that it would not be a direct cause of a shut down now.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    8,509

    Default Re: Girls for Sail

    Quote Originally Posted by Genoa View Post
    It appears they have ceased trading. (But their website is still up and appears to allow orders - so beware!)
    Their web site now states "Girls for Sail is no longer trading and is unable to accept any further bookings."
    Gosport NCI - Call us on Ch 65 for a radio check if passing.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Surrey and Gosport UK
    Posts
    1,528

    Default Re: Girls for Sail

    Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post
    They did, if was rather more serious than that and is easily googleable, but I presumed long enough ago that it would not be a direct cause of a shut down now.
    Haven't researched the history so apologies if understated the matter but if the facts are googleable I imagine it might have damaged the brand even if they did not suffere any financial loss . Perhaps the owner has created a new co though and taking bookings in a new corporate name ? As others said I also saw them at shepherds on the small hammerhead so if any forumites are there maybe can find out from that source.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,621

    Default Re: Girls for Sail

    Quote Originally Posted by ashtead View Post
    Haven't researched the history so apologies if understated the matter but if the facts are googleable I imagine it might have damaged the brand even if they did not suffere any financial loss .
    I too suspect it did, it comes up second for me on a google search immediately under their website.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    8,509

    Default Re: Girls for Sail

    The incident in question happened in 2016 http://www.ybw.com/news-from-yachtin...ay-suing-26359 so it's possible the legals have concluded and GFS and it's founder lost.
    Gosport NCI - Call us on Ch 65 for a radio check if passing.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Returned to South Coast from West Coast of Scotland.
    Posts
    1,763

    Default Re: Girls for Sail

    I would love to know the outcome of the court case but can find nothing on google.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    15,353

    Default Re: Girls for Sail

    Quote Originally Posted by bedouin View Post
    You forgot the "straight, christian" bit
    W.A.S.P

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to