Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Girls for Sail

Default Re: Girls for Sail

Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post
    They have at least a clue how to use apostophies correctly, unlike a certain illiterate old dinosaur?
    "apostophies" ha!

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    I'm not convinced. I can't see any reason why a company cannot be set up to address an imbalance in participation in any activity.

The reverse is more common, I find - people who object to discrimination in favour of women while happily accepting discrimination in favour of men.

You see a related response when universities use contextual admission policies - which basically lower A-level grade requirements for applicants from poorer school. "Social engineering!" scream private sector schools and parents, as if spending £20k per year for six year to buy better A-level grades than would have been achieved elsewhere wasn't the most pernicious social engineering in the UK ...
    Sorry JD, a load of nonsense. My two went to the local comp, got firsts, one MChem the other PhD Biology. No extra tuition except what me and mam did! As you know I left school at 16 and went down pit so the "poor downtrodden" theory is cobblers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mctavish View Post
    How do you get to "unpleasant" assault?
    Personally, I'm grateful to Sarabande for choosing a less specific term.

Quote Originally Posted by skipper_stu View Post
    "apostophies" ha!
    "apostophie's" ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-1 View Post
    "apostophie's" ha!
    what did he say! "Illiterate" pot calling kettle black?

Quote Originally Posted by sarabande View Post
    A quick chase round the usual sources reveals that Girlsgosailing is not , in itself, a registered company. But that may mean it is the trading arm. I must admit that IMO that there is considerable similarity between the old G4S and the new GGS websites.

Annie O'Sullivan, who owns Cowes Yacht Charters, registered on the IoW, is listed as director of Girls For Sail (Holdings) Ltd, with a London contact address. She was quoted in the papers as also being the owner of the Caribbean villa involved in the unpleasant assault in Feb 2016. Girls for Sail (Holdings) Ltd was compulsorily dissolved on 12 Apr 2016. Cowes Yacht Charters is apparently currently trading.

According to "Whois Girlsforsail.com", Girlsforsail is owned by Parkwood Holdings. Earlier, Girls For Sail owners included Anne O'Sullivan of the domain name Anne O'Sullivan, with an address common to Girls for Sail Holdings.

All very circuitous and public domain info, but changes of name and owner in the holiday business are not unknown, aren't they ?
    Just done a bit of Googling, a lot at the time in a lot of press with lots of what appear to be "willing to be photographed" pix of the alleged victim but nothing since. Cant find any news of arrests, no reports of a civil case. Anybody else found owt?

Doesn't take much, Stu, to find out that the case is being handled by Vidisha Joshi who is head of the Personal Injury department of Hodge, Jones & Allen.
    Last edited by sarabande; 17-06-18 at 09:24.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Quote Originally Posted by skipper_stu View Post
    Sorry JD, a load of nonsense. My two went to the local comp, got firsts, one MChem the other PhD Biology. No extra tuition except what me and mam did! As you know I left school at 16 and went down pit so the "poor downtrodden" theory is cobblers!
    Congratulations - you obviously have bright kids. That doesn't avoid the fact that many better-off parents are able to buy better grades for their children than they would have achieved in the local comp. I'm not against private education, by the way, but I'm very keen that universities should look for underlying ability rather than simply grades.

I spent many years teaching at a well-known university on the Thames and I regularly taught kids from private schools who had A-level results far above their ability and who struggled as a result. The statitics confirm this; with equal A-level grades, comprehensively educated children get better degrees. So congratulations (completely sincere) again!
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

"The statitics confirm this; with equal A-level grades, comprehensively educated children get better degrees. "

I have not read anything like that till now., so a source would be appreciated please, JD. There may be other factors involved in comprehensive students success, apart from the type of school attended. I was thinking of motivation, appetite for 'improvement', appreciation of opportunity, and similar factors which comfortably educated and supported children might not possess. Much is down to hunger and ambition, as I have certainly seen in my involvement in education.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Returned to South Coast from West Coast of Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabande View Post
    Doesn't take much to find out that the case is being handled by Vidisha Joshi who is head of the Personal Injury department of Hodge, Jones & Allen.
    Bizarre. So no result even now?

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast