Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Girls for Sail

Default Re: Girls for Sail

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    I spoke with someone yesterday last night who did the ARC with Girls for Sail a few years back. The boat failed an inspection in Las Palmas: number of crew exceeded the liferaft spec, rigging was condemned and rigger needed to be flown out to replace, and inadequate First Aid. During this time practice sessions were cancelled for emergency maintenance, which could not prevent undetected refrigeration problems, the contamination of the drinking water , etc. from spoiling the trip.

The experience was not good - I understand for any of them - and several were bitterly disappointed at having selected this route to complete a a fun and safe Atlantic crossing. Even during the Solent practice sessions she described a picture of comically noncompetitive "race boats" bordering on farce.

I am certainly not trying to establish a cause and effect with the girls-only policy, but something serious seems to have been amiss somewhere.
    I have seen quite a bit of GFS, and sailed with a number of people who have done courses with them. In my opinion, and especially where their racing operations are concerned, they suffered from 2 main issues. The first was the lack of money being spent on the boats. They were turning up to race against the Solent IRC fleet in an Elan 37 (same as us) but they were using very old tired sails. Their other issue was that they seemed only to employ skippers that had done all their training with GFS in the first place. So they just were not racers as there wasn't anyone at GFS capable of training racing sailors. This isn't intrinsically a bad thing, but they were marketing racing weekends and then finishing over half an hour behind an identical boat (us) in a race that took us 1 hour. That's not racing, and having seen them sailing the boat close up, it wasn't purely the old sails issue.
    You never know, I might be right!

Sailing Schools seam to be a tough way to make a living. Running a successful sailing school is tough. Even with the RYA brand and Marketing.
    One which I have or had and association with took advantage of as many different income streams as possible. The Sailing school part of the business was if I remember right a loss maker. But essential to provide custom for the charter business. Which in turn fed the brokerage. Which referred customers back.

A few small mom and pop operations survive. With a particular nitch. Usually higher end or lower end of the market than the big schools.

The women only one. Which have operated in my local sailing area have not lasted. To start with they have eliminated half the possible market. Which in reality is probably a lot more than half the market. On top of this they have eliminated couples. Ma&Pa cause Pa wants a boat, so they go a learn to sail together. Big part of the Market.

Most of the Girls. I know who choose to go sailing are outdoor types. Who want the best experience. The big sailing schools aren't daft. They have women instructors and pair up single women with other single women. It doesn't do the schools reputation any good if all the women go away and put on trip advisor. The Instructor was a dick. So the successful ones will cater for women.

Unfortunately. A women only sailing school probably has a lot stacked against it. Poor sails and difficulty keeping up with maintenance. Would be symptoms of a struggling operation. which is unlikely to survive.

PS my 12 year old niece sails an oppy all winter in conditions most here including me would say stuff this.
    She could probably teach me a few things about sailing.
    Last edited by Uricanejack; 19-06-18 at 13:09.

Quote Originally Posted by flaming View Post
    Have to say I always thought that gfs represented a fantastic idea appalling executed. Especially in the area of race training, where to my mind they did female sailing a disservice by being so wofully uncompetitive.
    +1. They had a long and sorry record of finishing dead last, or even worse DNF due to not meeting time limits. Part of this was due to an inability to fly spinnakers.

The marginal competence, combined with the silly pink T-shirts etc., did the image of women sailors no favours.

Are they still trading and if so have they removed the wrecked car from the car park as it seemed a somewhat poor advert ?I haven't seen them in Shepherds recently so maybe they sunk without trace or rebranded ?

Quote Originally Posted by Walther View Post

...the silly pink T-shirts etc., did the image of women sailors no favours.
    Totally, although the image can bear it I reckon.
    (Thinking about Rosie Swale's account of rounding Cape Horn in gales, which took a couple of weeks, in their home-built 30' plywood cruising catamaran.. with a baby and a toddler on board..
    or Jeanne Socrates on her 3rd (?) lap..

I've sailed with quite a few women who were excellent sailors. However, females are still in the minority in this sport and semi-inadvertently promoting the unfair stereotype that they are bubbleheads fit only for making sandwiches is a step backwards, IMO.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

I agree completely. Many guys will not give their partner the chance to handle the boat.

First Mate and I did our last training under a woman Skipper. She did DS, I did CS.

We sailed on Golden Vanity, a 100 year old Brixham Trawler operated by Trinity Sailing.

The Skipper was a mature lady called Georgina, only about 4 foot 10 tall. But, what a sailor!

The weather was quite fierce, a couple of Bavaria training boats with another company stayed in one day when we went out.

First Mate and I learned such a lot, not only about sailing but about weather and manouvering long keelers in tight places. When we got back to our GibSea 96 it felt like a toy.

I still get guys asking why FM looks after the boat when coming alongside or picking up a mooring. It is because she has learned how to handle our heavy long keel motorsailer and it makes perfect sense for me to handle the warps and fenders and do the stepping off if required as I am stronger, more agile and am better at knots and handling heavy warps.

There is a ‘Girls 4 Sail’ Beneteau 40 up for sale at Deacons. Most but not all of the branding has been taken off. Hence easily recognised.

I have only ever had two complete "WTF?!" encounters with sailing school boats. Both were with Girls for Sail, about a year apart. Both times with them steaming about 6 or 7 knots towards cowes. Both times I was sailing. Once had to tack at the last moment once significantly bear away. In both cases I'd left it pretty late because, well, sailing school, everyone on deck, woman on the helm (ie no autopilot) surely.....But no. Both times helm just stared straight ahead.

If they've gone, the solent is a slightly safer place.

Quote Originally Posted by Talulah View Post
    There is a ‘Girls 4 Sail’ Beneteau 40 up for sale at Deacons. Most but not all of the branding has been taken off. Hence easily recognised.
    The market knows no mercy...

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast