Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Girls for Sail

Default Re: Girls for Sail

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    First Mate and I learned such a lot, not only about sailing but about weather and manouvering long keelers in tight places. When we got back to our GibSea 96 it felt like a toy.

I still get guys asking why FM looks after the boat when coming alongside or picking up a mooring. It is because she has learned how to handle our heavy long keel motorsailer and it makes perfect sense for me to handle the warps and fenders and do the stepping off if required as I am stronger, more agile and am better at knots and handling heavy warps.
    Oh, do you still have your Gib'Sea 96 asks Gib'Sea 96 owner?

I can't understand why men like to do the driving and leave the deck work to their female friends when coming along side or picking up a mooring.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Oh, do you still have your Gib'Sea 96 asks Gib'Sea 96 owner?

I can't understand why men like to do the driving and leave the deck work to their female friends when coming along side or picking up a mooring.
    Sadly no-the GibSea was a great boat.

We had a senior moment and bought an Island Packet-quite a modest one. Then madness struck again and we bought the present one, the Island Packet SP Cruiser.

She is lovely..............................

Quote Originally Posted by Sea_Spray View Post
    There are still some dinosaurs around ...

Before using ‘dinosaurs’ as an insult remember that they ‘ruled’ the Earth for over 30 million years, whereas if we’re not careful humans will have wrecked it in less than 30 thousand years.

It was smoking what did for the dinosaurs.

Doesn't make much sense, does it? The driving is much the easier job.

Reasons will vary from couple to couple, but often the above happens because the woman simply doesn't want the responsibility of maneuvering in close quarters. This is true even when she is otherwise a competent and confident sailor [go to YouTube and search "Don't Make Me Dock" for a humorous song by Canadian cruiser Eileen Quinn].

On sailing courses, men are more likely to be overconfident and women more likely to be underconfident. Obviously this is not invariably the case, but generally speaking it is true. With encouragement, patient instruction and application there is no reason why the average woman cannot learn to drive a sailing yacht under power, but she has to want to do it. It certainly doesn't help if her husband is critical or unsupportive.

In our case, I've tried to encourage Milady to take the helm while I do the leaping around when picking up a buoy or coming alongside, but she prefers me to drive. She will take the helm briefly while I sort out sails or when anchoring (no windlass = no lass), but is nervous about helming at close quarters.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher 5 View Post
    It was smoking what did for the dinosaurs.
    Yeah, the brand was probably ‘Volcanic Ash’

Quote Originally Posted by Walther View Post
    I've sailed with quite a few women who were excellent sailors. However, females are still in the minority in this sport and semi-inadvertently promoting the unfair stereotype that they are bubbleheads fit only for making sandwiches is a step backwards, IMO.
    I regularly sail with an former colleague and national-level politician, for whom the expressions "tough" and "no-nonsense" might have been written. I suspect that she would rather chew her own arm off than be attached to anything branded "Girls for Sail".
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

I've had the privilege of sailing with 2 female skippers, both superb seamen (seawomen, seapersons, dunno, what's PC these days?) and an absolute pleasure to sail with. Both can sail rings round me, are happy to teach me new ways of doing things and equally happy to listen if I propose a different way of doing anything. If girls for sail had either of these two as instructors they might well still be around.
    Still learning.

It is a well established fact on our boat that I cannot tie a boat up to a satisfactory standard. Hence I park and have a beer, the boss plays with the string and it is done properly. Approaching moorings I do the the wet, slippery, smelly bit and when I am finished hope for approval. We have a skipper and a Boss, what we do need is a few crew.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast