Default Who knows this sailboat?

Hello folks,

my name is Wolfgang and I`m from Germany. After years of motor boating I finally made the decision to take it a little slower in the future and get me a small sailboat. I`m in the uppermost north of Germany and could secure me a berth in an ultra small marina just behind the dike. The german word for the estuary I`ll do my sailing in is "Wattenmeer" (mud flat?!) which means that it is heavily influenced by tidal waters. I`m after a sailboat with bilge keels therefore and did find one- but nobody knows what type it is, from what manufacturer it might be and so on- not the slightest clue.

Since most of the older little bilge keelers come from the UK I thought it might be a good thing to register and ask the members in here? The boat looks horrible from the outside but is surprisingly well kept inside the cabin. It is complete with all spars, sails and so on and, as you might guess, dirt cheap, more or less pick-up costs...... hereīs three pictures:

Now you might ask why in the world would somebody even consider fixing up that one? Here are some arguments - which are very personal, I know:

- itīs almost for free
    - it`s very unique, never seen one of those before and doubt that thereīs even one more of that kind over here
    - somehow like this round "butt"
    - it`s got a well (is that the right word?) for an outboard which means I could install some sort of slider to lift up the outboard while berthed
    - since there`s no inboard itīs easy to trailer and I`ll have to do this 2x a year from and back to itīs winter storage which is at least 20km away
    - it comes with a matched trailer
    - I love to tinker with boats so this one will give me "work" for years to come....

Now if I just knew what brand and type it is? I`d like to have this information also because it might turn out that those boats were the worst sailers of them all and hence to better leave it where it is- who knows?

So really any advice would be great and I hope you all in here won`t mind me signing up here just for a purpose?

Many greetings,
    Wolfgang

Default Re: Who knows this sailboat?

Hi Wolfgang, welcome along, a great first post. Can't help you personally but someone on here will recognise this. You might want also to post it in the Yachting Monthly Scuttlebutt forum.
    Graham. Bavaria 42 Vision, "Scala"

Never seen another, though I'd lay odds on it being a Dutch design.

Never seen one anything like it, either, and the round stern is unusual enough to notice.

I note that it says "Berlin" on the stern - could it be a German made boat? Maybe it's worth enquiring here: https://www.pyc.de/

Welcome Wolfgang

If there are no labels on the boat (Makers' marks and serial numbers are usually hidden in a locker) then I wonder if there is a name plate on the mast ?

Perhaps the mast maker is still in business and can help identify the yacht for you.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Hi guys,

many thanks for your answers! I`ve already tried with the Potsdam Yacht Club, but the couldn`t find any information either. The registration number at the bow lead to nothing too because the german shipping authorities refuse to give out data to a private german- guess thatīs what we pay them for.....
    We were wondering wether it could be an east german design or something made in any of the former eastern countries, but dutch may be another option. I was even considering the possibility that the round stern was homemade but the deck moulding fits way too precise for that.........

Hmmm, but letīs wait some more and see what turns up here, he?

She does look like she has German or Scandinavian origins, although the bilge keels are not at all typical for a boat from the Baltic region.

You could perhaps try asking on the Boat Design Forum in the USA - here is a link to a thread where they found the identity of a slightly larger German built fibreglass yacht from the 70's.
    https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/w...e-70ies.60339/
    Here is a useful guide to Barbados - http://www.doyleguides.com/barbados/

No, I have not seen anything like this.

I like to think that I'm pretty good at knowing old classes, but I don't recognise this one.

As others have mentioned, somehow she doesn't look British.