Default Port Grimaud or St Tropez

Travelling up to Antibes in 2 weeks to my permanent berth.

Leaving Hyeres on Saturday 30th and looking to stay overnight roughly halfway. Any SOF guys have any thoughts on PG or ST???

Also there seems to be 3 prices in ST, sensible, OK and the old port which is eye watering.

Cheers

Default Re: Port Grimaud or St Tropez

Leaving aside where you put your boat for the night, one choice is quietsville and one is a bitter and twisted shedevil that will claw your wallet and your eyes out.

There’s also St Maxime oppersite St Trop across the bay and Cogalin next door to PG .
    The normal port , new port is fine for St Trop , every things a short walk and it will be peaceful at night , no pissheads to be heard .Unlike the old port .
    Wide range of restaurants plenty of little side streets , plenty of shops again wide range from Hermes to burger bars and everything in between if your females on board like Jimmy Choo shoes there’s a shop peddling those too .
    PG more family oriented with ( apart from the hotel RHS of the enterance ) just typical French tourist restaurants.
    A few other shops and a mimi super market + few more food shops to provision .
    Depending where you end up , it’s a bit spread out and you could end up trudging about a bit .
    No glamour high end shopping for the ladies in PG .

Both much of a muchness really - depends what you want to do onshore?

Cogolin is the ugly sibling to PG , concrete 70,s hard styling building- it works marina wise , I’d say the down market of the 4 places in the bay .

St Max is a nice vibrant town typically French as you would expect with erhm , a more mature clientele, the young party goers gravitate across the bay to STrop .

You are going far , we do Hyres -Cannes in about 4 hrs ? .

ST every time. We stayed in both in May (I did a trip report and will post a link to it later). Arrive just after 12 to avoid the rush for free berths at the end of the day and enjoy the atmosphere. We found PG a bit dull. We paid €70 for a 12m berth in ST.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...ight=St+tropez
    Last edited by mcanderson; 19-06-18 at 20:05. Reason: Now with link

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    There’s also St Maxime oppersite St Trop across the bay and Cogalin next door to PG .
    The normal port , new port is fine for St Trop , every things a short walk and it will be peaceful at night , no pissheads to be heard .Unlike the old port .
    Wide range of restaurants plenty of little side streets , plenty of shops again wide range from Hermes to burger bars and everything in between if your females on board like Jimmy Choo shoes there’s a shop peddling those too .
    PG more family oriented with ( apart from the hotel RHS of the enterance ) just typical French tourist restaurants.
    A few other shops and a mimi super market + few more food shops to provision .
    Depending where you end up , it’s a bit spread out and you could end up trudging about a bit .
    No glamour high end shopping for the ladies in PG .

Both much of a muchness really - depends what you want to do onshore?

Cogolin is the ugly sibling to PG , concrete 70,s hard styling building- it works marina wise , I’d say the down market of the 4 places in the bay .

St Max is a nice vibrant town typically French as you would expect with erhm , a more mature clientele, the young party goers gravitate across the bay to STrop .

You are going far , we do Hyres -Cannes in about 4 hrs ? .
    We are making a weekend of it. Want to cruise slowly from Hyeres via some bays and roughly halfway is ST. Fancied pulling in there and then do the next part of the journey on the Sunday via Agay bay and Cannes.

I will look at the new port in ST (cheaper) or St Maxime, thanks for the tip

Look forward to seeing you in Antibes. There are a number of forumites on Mole Sud and Quay 1 so come and say hello

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Look forward to seeing you in Antibes. There are a number of forumites on Mole Sud and Quay 1 so come and say hello
    Will do Mike, I am on Quay 10 round the other side (beggars can't be choosers) but I am told it is a quiet area and with some electric scooters it won't be an issue

I'm based in PG south, for a home berth its great but the visitor moorings are a good 15 - 20 mins from the main square/resturants and there's only a mini-market on site with the hypermarket a taxi ride away. Don't get me wrong as a resident/berth holder I love PG but its not geared up for visitors.

Unless you really want to go to ST my first choice would be St Maxime

ST is alway's nice for a one night stay,
    my last visit was in 2013, and at that time we usually had a nice berth in front of the capitainery, and that was not really expensive, don't know today,
    it was easy book-able via internet. (one or two day's in advance)

PG can aswell be visited with the tender, and navigate through the small canals,
    while anchored in the bay,

avoid Cogolin, absolutely not attractive
    we had to hide there for a storm on one occasion.