Default R&D flexible coupling failure

A friend of mine with a Broom 39 (2x D6 310 on shafts) has experienced sudden failure of one of the R&D couplings accompanied by lots of noise & obvious drive train loss on that side.
    The stern glad was leaking quite badly so the boat was quickly lifted & on that side the propshaft & prop had moved back 20 cm or so.
    2 of the holes in the gearbox drive plate were found to be elliptical & a few of the bolts had sheared.
    The engine mounts were found to be tight.
    I've guessed that it may well be due to the some or all of the coupling bolts loosening over a prolonged period.
    Anyone had experience of this or got any other theories?

Default Re: R&D flexible coupling failure

no sign of damage to prop??

Sorry I should have said that - no - no damage or signs of impact

Must have been going on for a long long time, cutless bearings failed, prop out of balance, gearbox rear bearing failed. Or badly fitted r&d to begin with, these have nylock nuts, even so the "shakes" should have been noticed? Also was alignment good.?
    Last edited by omega2; 20-06-18 at 18:02.

I had this exact same issue with my Sealine F43 which I'd only had for a few months in 2009 (2005 model). The coupling failed with sheared bolts and the gearbox oil pump was a casualty. We had a warranty and the repair was carried out by the seller, bad alignment was the issue. A prop shaft was replaced as part of the repair and the engine/gearbox were realigned, we also had the other side done at the same time, been ok ever since.

Thanks for the replies. Out of interest Bojangles - do you know why the prop shaft needed replacing? Was it bent or was the surface that runs in the stern gland scored? Thanks