Default Fuel colour - diagnostic value ??

I had a slight list since I had the boat to stb .
    We have 3 diesel,tanks
    2=main 800 L each for an engine connected with a balance pipe cocked at both ends .
    There’s also a optional long range tank of 600 L stb to the stb engine cocked at both ends .

Sight glasses on the mains as well as gauges on the dash ( for what use they are )
    No guage or sight glass on the LRT .
    Tapping the mains and looking at the level in the sight you hear a dull thud below and a hollow sound above .
    Tapping the LRT it’s dull thud right up just 10 cm from the top,90 cm tall .
    So I think it’s full .
    Last time it was used was on the Del trip Nov 14 ?

600 L sat as far outboard as poss probably accounts for the list .

Thing is what do I do with it ?
    I have tried to pass a pipe ( various sizes btw ) down the filler to access the LRT contents - it’s only goes as far as the “ deck anti spill device “;

So I though could test it ? With a view to allowing to mix into the stb main , ie open the cocks to let it drain down , it’s a bit higher and relies on gravity to drain .

Managed to pull the connection pipe off ( connects LRT to stb only ) and drain some off .
    Last night poured a bottle of Startron in - reckons to disperse water etc .

Here’s the results 6 hrs or so later - small bottle is the pipe contents initially, large the next 2 L

It’s yellow but not cloudy or zero black specs / bugs etc

Attachment 71717

Attachment 71716

https://imgur.com/a/gKr0d3v
    Last edited by Portofino; 20-06-18 at 16:51.

Default Re: Fuel colour - diagnostic value ??

I'm no expert but it looks alright to me! Certainly good enough to mix with your fresh fuel and consume it that way.

As long as your filtration is good and you have spare elements on board, I'd just go for a blat and burn it off.

Diesel nothing like as volatile as petrol.

Attachment 71719

Thx chaps , this is this AM so approx 24 hrs .
    Smaller bottle is the first draw ,unless itís the differing plastic ( milk vs water bottle ? ) - the larger 2L ,second draw looks fine .

It probably would have had some fuel stabiliser put in for the winter 14/15 ? Startron ,and then another dose from me 24 hrs before drawing off .

So the plan is to gradually feed it into the stb main may be 200 L at a time and mix it with fresh
    Try and empty as much as poss the approx 500 kgs hanging out there .
    Then will open up the racor change over the filter and closely examine the paper element for specs / dirt etc .
    I know we all get a bit paranoid about fuel hygiene etc. , the guys and guardians down here tell me itís a none issue .Never gets cold enough long enough for water condensation, they did not understand when I first arrived why I wanted to fill up over the winter .Now I don,t bother .
    Also thereís a high turn over at the fuel pontoons around here - popular hobby

Quote Originally Posted by burgundyben View Post
    As long as your filtration is good and you have spare elements on board, I'd just go for a blat and burn it off.

Diesel nothing like as volatile as petrol.
    Update the 3/12 year old but “ Startroned “ diesel just burned off through the stb engine like normal .
    I isolated port n stb and added new to port to top up and some new 200 L into the combined stb / long range .
    Checked all the parameters while running fwiw ? on the MMDS they were identical.
    Racor bowls look identical- clear too .