Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Channel safety gear?

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    10 miles is normal rage for yacht maybe 15, but to get help you need to be within 10 or 15 miles of a CG station or someone else who is listening and often we are the only craft for many miles (unlike the Solent thank heavens). Off much of N Cornish or N Devon Coast we cannot hear the weather updates so must presume CG could never hear us, and 1 mile off Irish coast by Kilmore quay we were in radio shadow, though we could practically shout to farmers on the cliffs. Returning from Brittany we heard their traffic reports to within 35 miles of Scilly thus 70 miles from French territory, but did not hear UK CG until within about 10 miles of St Marys.

I have two aerials, one on mast and one on pushpit and tried both when i first went into radio blackspot, but it was the lack of signal not the equipment.

As an engineer I can state clearly that what might be achieved in practice is often not what happens, particularly for cash strapped and time limited organisations such as CG

When we bring our newer boat back from Chichester no doubt we can just call to the next boat if in trouble, once beyond Portland it is safer to presume we are mostly on our own
    I think you will find you will have plenty of company all the way to Newlyn and probably beyond unless it's foul weather.

Default Re: Channel safety gear?

Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    I think you will find you will have plenty of company all the way to Newlyn and probably beyond unless it's foul weather.
    I'd love fair winds on the beam but who knows what the Lord will provide. I might well go via Morbihan next summer, crossing Milford to Landsend/Scilly or to Ushant I've never seen another yacht except at the ends and only a handful of fishermen, but I agree Falmouth and Dartmouth are busy.
    A boat is for going places

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234