Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: From Turkey to EU - Paying Vat on 10 year old yacht

Quote Originally Posted by macd View Post
    Not if it's expressly aired on a public forum...
    Perhaps the OP should exercise a little care if he plans going down the TI route (all mentions of which, of course, aren't his).
    I can just imagine the Greek Customs Authorities issuing a circular to all it's regional and local offices telling them to watch out for an application for TI from raintownjimmy who has recently started posting on ybw.com.

Bricks & mortar: Italy. Me & boat: Aegean

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rover View Post
    I can just imagine the Greek Customs Authorities issuing a circular to all it's regional and local offices telling them to watch out for an application for TI from raintownjimmy who has recently started posting on ybw.com.
    Latest news is a proposed Greek tax on sense of humour. You'll have nothing to pay.
    All epigrams are false

Quote Originally Posted by macd View Post
    Latest news is a proposed Greek tax on sense of humour. You'll have nothing to pay.
    Sorry if I upset you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    The rules are that you pay VAT on entry to the first country you enter unless you have a prior arrangement to pay it in a specific state.

The rules are not prescriptive about the base for VAT except that it should represent market value, but if you have recently bought it the price you paid could be used as a base value. Some states (such as Spain) use a formula based on a "book" value allowing for depreciation, but if the boat does not have published values they may estimate it - often less than other states may determine.

If the boat has a high value (and therefore potentially high VAT) might be worth employing a professional to deal with the VAT.
    I think you could visit other eu countries on the way to Spain and get away with it provided you don't stay too long - but a further problem in Spain is you will have to pay a 12% matriculation tax on top of the IVA - VAT. Worse than that the vessel will be Spanish flagged and therefore you will in theory at least need a Spanish boat driving licence... until you re-register her as a UK boat.... There is a Spanish boat lawyer on my web site: Alex Chumillas - http://www.michaelbriant.com/spain_boat_rules.htm who can do all this for you but be aware he is not going to hand out free advice.
    I imported Paw Paw via him when I first moved permanently to Spain and he organised it so i did not pay the 12% matriculation tax, got a certificate that I could sell her on after one year (which I am now doing) and keep my British Flag so I didn't have to get Spanish Government Sailing Qualifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Paw Paw View Post
    I think you could visit other eu countries on the way to Spain and get away with it provided you don't stay too long - but a further problem in Spain is you will have to pay a 12% matriculation tax on top of the IVA - VAT. Worse than that the vessel will be Spanish flagged and therefore you will in theory at least need a Spanish boat driving licence... until you re-register her as a UK boat.... There is a Spanish boat lawyer on my web site: Alex Chumillas - http://www.michaelbriant.com/spain_boat_rules.htm who can do all this for you but be aware he is not going to hand out free advice.
    I imported Paw Paw via him when I first moved permanently to Spain and he organised it so i did not pay the 12% matriculation tax, got a certificate that I could sell her on after one year (which I am now doing) and keep my British Flag so I didn't have to get Spanish Government Sailing Qualifications.
    There is no grace period for paying VAT. You could of course risk it but if you do get caught there is a fine plus The VAT. there was a case reported here a couple of years ago 9by the person who was caught) who intended to pay the VAT in UK but was stopped in italy 2000 euros plus the VAT (and hassle).

Not sure you have to pay matriculation tax, nor register in Spain - you are importing into the EU and just pay the VAT in the state where you land. Commonly done in the Azores, for example without importing the boat into Portugal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12