Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: American electrical advice (shore power)

Quote Originally Posted by RobWales View Post
    Hi all,

Should I modify my supply lead by removing the split to two plugs and use just the one as I'm not happy with a live supply being hung up under my gunwhale....?

Many thanks in advance.
    Rob.
    Hi Rob, You really shouldn't have two plugs on the end of your shore power lead. First, as you say, it's a hazard to have a live plug hanging loose, but often, shore power suppliers are fed from different phases. So not surprised it causes problems.
    These are the voyages of Play d'eau....www.playdeau.com

Quote Originally Posted by GSL View Post
    The very best and easiest way to fix this is to fit a Mastervolt Soft Start in the line as it comes into the boat, before the transformers. The best 240 you will spend on the boat.

I speak from experience on this.

Graham
    This sounds like the right advice. At a guess the OP has two isolation step-up transformers, one for each inlet, and the simultaneous inrush current surge from both transformers is what's causing the supply to trip. It sounds like the inrush from one transformer alone is below the rating of the trip on the shorepower supply.

Could it also have something to do with the American 220V system is max rated at 50 Amps as opposed to our 16 / 32 Amp? (2 x 110V @25A with common neutral)

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    Could it also have something to do with the American 220V system is max rated at 50 Amps as opposed to our 16 / 32 Amp? (2 x 110V @25A with common neutral)
    I might be missing your point a bit here (if so - sorry) but how is there a common neutral with a twin step-up transformer installation?

Hi Jimmy. It so happens that a week or two ago a similar fault was being discussed on the FB Trawler Living and Cruising group. It piqued my interest as I also have an American boat albeit now converted to EU standards. The fault turned out to be the common neutral, but what fascinated me was their approach to220V. You need to be a member but here is the link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/traw...=group_comment

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12