Default Beta engine with no fuel filter

I have bought a Leisure 23 fitted with a Beta BZ482, it's my first experience with an inboard. Having familiarised myself with it, I'm confused at the lack of a fuel filter on the engine.

There is a prefilter, a CAV style one mounted on a bulkhead inline from the fuel tank, but none on the engine itself. The only thing I can surmise is that when the engine was installed, they had to remove the engine-mounted filter due to clearance issues or accessibility. The bracket where the fuel filter assembly should be mounted simply isn't there.

I can get a fuel filter assembly from Beta and mount it on a bulkhead, just like the pre-filter. Is this necessary? Is at always recommended to have two filters? Is the pre-filter a coarser pore size? The prefilter is a Fleetguard FF167. I wonder why they didn't mount the Beta filter externally on a bulkhead, perhaps they thought it was ok just to rely on the pre-filter?

I'm unsure if I should go the "ain't broke don't fix it" route or the "treat my engine like a baby" route.

Default Re: Beta engine with no fuel filter

You should have an engine filter, usually a finer filter than the CAV bulkhead mounted one. Get one from Beta, as you say you may have to remotely fit it if no room. It's usually fitted to the top left of the engine as you look at from inside. the boat. You can see a picture if you go to the Beta Marine website. Beta are very good for advice and knowledge.
    ps - if the CAV filter is not easily accessible, may I suggest you change it for a screw-on type filter, obtainable as a direct swop from people such as ASAP supplies or AAL Diesel spares in Scotland. MUCH easier to change the filter and no leaks!

Are you looking in the right place? I believe that the position of the fuel filter has changed over time on these engines. The older ones have the fuel filter on the starboard side, part way down, towards the rear of the engine. More recent ones have it repositioned to the front of the engine, high up, and also on the starboard side.

As Petite Fleur has indicated, the people at Beta are knowledgeable and helpful - don't hesitate to give them a ring. If you have the W.O.C. (Works Order Card) number for the engine (recorded in the original owner's manual, if you have it), they can identify the exact variations and options supplied for that particular engine. Failing that they might be able to do it from the engine serial number.

If you don't have an owner's manual, the current one is on the betamarine.co.uk website. I think I have one for the earlier version of the BZ482 - PM me if you want a copy.

Ok thanks.

The CAV filter is pretty accessible, I can a tray under it to catch spills.

I'll attach a photo where you can see the hose routing from the fuel pump straight to the injectors, I think normally it would go up to the filter which would be somewhere above the stop solenoid.

I'll get the part ordered from beta with some longer house and find somewhere convenient to mount it. I might be able to fit it where it's supposed to be. It's just strange that it's not there.

I'll PM for that manual, the paper copy I have is for the later one perhaps, there are a few things that don't match, e/g raw water pump is a different shape, there's no sump pump, heat exchanger has two anodes.

IMG_20180619_095753672.jpg

I have a Beta BZ482 and from looking at your photo I agree, it looks like you don't have a secondary filter on the engine.

The filter screws on to the disk shaped mount, just under the embossed "479", where the black fuel hoses attach.

However, I assume there must be some kind of blanking plate attached instead, otherwise surely the fuel would just leak out. If so, then perhaps this is a Beta specified setup. I assume that you've checked for a secondary filter elsewhere?

Bricks & mortar: Italy. Me & boat: Aegean

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewL View Post
    perhaps this is a Beta specified setup
    As suggested, the OP's best course is to call Beta. If he has the WOC number to hand, they should be able to confirm quite quickly how the engine was originally specified. The WOC should be on the same plate/sticker as the Beta engine number and type.

P.S. Duh...as LittleSister already pointed out.
    Last edited by macd; 22-06-18 at 07:46.
    All epigrams are false

>I can a tray under it to catch spills.

If the filter leaks then air will get in and the engine will cut out.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewL View Post
    I have a Beta BZ482 and from looking at your photo I agree, it looks like you don't have a secondary filter on the engine.

The filter screws on to the disk shaped mount, just under the embossed "479", where the black fuel hoses attach.

However, I assume there must be some kind of blanking plate attached instead, otherwise surely the fuel would just leak out. If so, then perhaps this is a Beta specified setup. I assume that you've checked for a secondary filter elsewhere?
    Isn't that the lift pump ?

I think this is where the OP thinks the filter should be

Beta fuel filter.JPG

'The CAV filter is pretty accessible, I can a tray under it to catch spills. '

The CAV filter is a PITA - even if it's accessible, the screw-on type is so easy to change, just wrap a rag around it, unscrew and fit new filter. Keep the tray just in case a few drops get out.

OOH the Racor filter elements cost ten times as much as the CAV ones.

Btw the secondary filter should be about 2 micron, compared to maybe 30 for the primary, so you really need the fine filter for the sake of your injectors.
    Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer