Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Default Re: Canals closing in Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    I am not too sure it is really broken, I recall that it was closed when a woman driver (sexist, me???) reversed in to it and claimed for the damage to her car.
    They told me that the farmer took a grossly overweight trailer over it. In which case I would have expected them to claim from his insurance ...
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    I want to fix Dunardry Bridge, it is just iron work and heavy carpentry, the old cast iron mechanism is still there and sound, mostly just heavy carpentry. A great way to spend a winter. Trouble is that they do not want it fixed, after about ten years the complaints about its loss have ceased and the farm on the other side have got used to driving the north bank. If it was fixed they would have to man it and maintain it, neither too onerous but if you can get away with doing nothing?
    I am not too sure it is really broken, I recall that it was closed when a woman driver (sexist, me???) reversed in to it and claimed for the damage to her car.
    Dunardry Bridge was great fun to "staff" - the winding mechanism seemed pretty simple. It is a shame it is broken. Rather obviously you worked the lock as well, and I used to help yachties out on the whole flight, particularly 12 & 13. 10, and especially 9, are a bit further away and 9 is out of sight of 11... Even just emptying/filling the locks when boats appeared from west/east helped them.
    MoBos would just appear out of nowhere, though - no masts to give their location & direction away!

From memory the top gates at 12 were a real bugger to open - in 1979!!!!! I presume if anybody has a problem these days they just phone for help. Mick Chell lived in the house by the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    The trouble with that is that, having done a pathetic half-arsed job of linking to the Carron/Forth at re-opening, they didn't really improve the situation when they were footering about with Kelpies. Here is what it should look like:

and here's what they did:

The original canal dock at Grangemouth is built over, but if reestablishing that wasn't possible a lock into the Old Dock could have given all-tide access to the canal.
    A pre-1960 map of the original route at Grangemouth and a "pre-Kelpies extension" satellite image can be seen side by side here:
    https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side...&right=BingHyb
    It's fun to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by A1Sailor View Post
    A pre-1960 map of the original route at Grangemouth and a "pre-Kelpies extension" satellite image can be seen side by side here:
    https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side...&right=BingHyb
    It's fun to play with.
    Coo. That's neat. Thank you!
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Coo. That's neat. Thank you!
    It will give you hours of "fun". You can see where all the railway lines disappeared from and what was where your house now is - depending on its age... The old maps only seem to go back to 1885.

Quote Originally Posted by A1Sailor View Post
    It will give you hours of "fun". You can see where all the railway lines disappeared from and what was where your house now is - depending on its age... The old maps only seem to go back to 1885.
    It depends on the scale. I've found my house on the 1834 sheet but there is nothing before that. However, it's next to a bridge which appears on Blaeu's map of the area.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456