Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Using antifreez to flush and clean outboard water jackets

Okay, so its been a few days since my last post, ran the engine in some descaler cleaner, let it sit for a couple of days, today flushed it out with just straight clean cool water, pee hole stream still seems abit weak for my liking, not sure what is a normal stream as I have always had 100+ HP outboard engines with bigger tel tails. Now, im thinking, when I run the engine, im putting it a large bucket (not ear muffs), the water is just going over the anti ventilation plate, the first plate on the outboard, I keep it topped off as its running, sometimes its just going under the plate, but im wondering is the lower unit being put in enough water? As I have read just becuase you cover the water intake screen doesnt mean you will get 100% water flow from the impella/Water pump. Right now Im not able to hook the engine up to a hose as there is a local hose pipe ban in my area and they wont let us use the comminuty hose becuase of a so called drought. Anyway, Should I try to get a taller bucket to put the engine in? ill be down to the boat in a weeks time. Im thinking ill just try it in a real world situation. But my question is how far should the water go up the lower unit to get a clear indication of water intake?
    Last edited by Horizons; 03-07-18 at 18:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Horizons View Post
    Okay,...........................

Should I try to get a taller bucket to put the engine in? ill be down to the boat in a weeks time. Im thinking ill just try it in a real world situation. But my question is how far should the water go up the lower unit to get a clear indication of water intake?
    Ordinary buckets are unlikely to be large enough. You need to ensure that the water pump is covered .

The turbulence caused by the exhaust is also likely to be a problem with such a small reservoir

A dustbin or a wheelie bin would be better choices .... I use an old domestic cold water tank..

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    Ordinary buckets are unlikely to be large enough. You need to ensure that the water pump is covered .

The turbulence caused by the exhaust is also likely to be a problem with such a small reservoir

A dustbin or a wheelie bin would be better choices .... I use an old domestic cold water tank..
    I did notice this was an issue, the water intake screen was exposed for a couple of sec once and a while
    Last edited by Horizons; 03-07-18 at 18:46.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by Horizons View Post
    I did notice this was an issue, the water intake screen was exposed for a couple of sec once and a while
    See my website http://coxeng.co.uk/cruising/outboar...h-water-flush/ for a good way to flush small outboards using an old fender.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Nice website, thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123