Default Southern Ireland

We are wandering along the east and southern coast of Ireland.

All in all very pleasant, have put a load of hours on the engine and the sails have hardly been out.

We started really in Poolbeg, quite excellent Guinness and bar. Smelly toilet and shower. The Liffey can long a bit at times. But all in all adequate.

Then Dun Laoaghaire, a bit different. Not a huge amount more expensive than Poolbeg and better served. Just a bit odd using a fingerprint reader to get into the Marina.

Full of enthusiasm we head south for Wexford. The wind picks up a bit and I decide not to try entering Wexford with a ≥F4 blowing and visibility going off. Go down to Rosslare and skulk against the wall. Have a meal, the wind goes away visibility improves and decide to give Wexford a chance.
    Downloaded the Harbour Master's map and we were sorted. Going up the channel we see a boat not moving too much. The depth goes to 2,3, we need 1,2 but a twinge of panic. Hail the obviously grounded yacht who was just out of the channel. Gather he needed 5 feet of water, what's that in metric?
    Then the lifeboat is on the radio to him and about to launch when the tide has risen enough and they get off.

Arrive to find the life boat crew waiting to take lines. Explain we were not stuck, but still they help. We are alongside. There are 3 visitor moorings and they are free.
    No electricity, water, loos etc, but everyone was welcoming. Stayed a couple of nights and will go back. The navigation is clear if you do what you are told.

Then move on, tried to make a lunch stop on one of the 3 visitor moorings off Rosslare Strand. New too! The Wexford HM is quite a busy chap. No pick up lines or anything. Too bouncy to get attached, so pushed on to Arklow.

There must have been quite a salesman pushing the idea that the pond at the old Kynoch works would ever be a marina. But hats off for a great selling job. Having missed the entrance to the marina we chose a space on the long pontoon outside.
    There are rumoured to be pontoons in the fish dock. We did not investigate.
    There are showers, but a bit of a walk from the pontoon. Not tested by your reporter.
    Aldi just up the road and tested by your reporter. A multi screen cinema and retail therapy is available too.

On the move again now to the much mentioned Kilmore Quay. Jolly little place with a pleasant welcome. But really only a stopping off point on the way to somewhere else. Amazing chandler for nuts, bolts and washers.

On a roll now and we are off to Waterford. Decide to do two steps. First to Dunmore West, then up to Wexford..
    A night in Dunmore West no sign of anyone in authority. Moor up to the pontoon and leave in the morning to take the tide up to Waterford. A walk in the park compared to Wexford. Though in the small hours a yacht arrives and rafts up against us. Transpires that they had missed the channel and spent a lot of time on their side waiting for the returning tide.

Again a pleasant place, adequate facilities. A typically Irish system using your mobile phone to open the facilities and the gate onto the pontoon.

A night in Waterford and then back to Dunmore. This time we met the HM gopher who registered us in the system. This time you need a fob to get in and out of the facilities and the pontoon is open to all.

And now Youghal. Sort of Salcombe before it got improved. The website tells us that a Harbour Master is about to be appointed. Not before time some might say.

He can get the 8 visitor moorings available to visitors and ensure they have pick up lines. Then he might remind the locals that there is a speed limit in the fairway and the chaos that their wake leaves behind them.
    He can also resolve access arrangements for the so new it still smell of fresh paint pontoon. Keys cannot be obtained outside office hours.

As for all the free for all moorings well who knows how long that will take him to sort out.

Sadly I have not packed a suitable blazer so our visit to Cork might be a bit restricted.
    Gwylan, a settee with a sail

Default Re: Southern Ireland

Useful stuff, Gwylan, though you might want to read through and do a wee bit of editing. Glad to hear you are on the move again accompanied by a bit of sunshine for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    We are wandering along the east and southern coast of Ireland.

All in all very pleasant, have put a load of hours on the engine and the sails have hardly been out.

We started really in Poolbeg, quite excellent Guinness and bar. Smelly toilet and shower. The Liffey can long a bit at times. But all in all adequate.

Then Dun Laoaghaire, a bit different. Not a huge amount more expensive than Poolbeg and better served. Just a bit odd using a fingerprint reader to get into the Marina.

Full of enthusiasm we head south for Wexford. The wind picks up a bit and I decide not to try entering Wexford with a ≥F4 blowing and visibility going off. Go down to Rosslare and skulk against the wall. Have a meal, the wind goes away visibility improves and decide to give Wexford a chance.
    Downloaded the Harbour Master's map and we were sorted. Going up the channel we see a boat not moving too much. The depth goes to 2,3, we need 1,2 but a twinge of panic. Hail the obviously grounded yacht who was just out of the channel. Gather he needed 5 feet of water, what's that in metric?
    Then the lifeboat is on the radio to him and about to launch when the tide has risen enough and they get off.

Arrive to find the life boat crew waiting to take lines. Explain we were not stuck, but still they help. We are alongside. There are 3 visitor moorings and they are free.
    No electricity, water, loos etc, but everyone was welcoming. Stayed a couple of nights and will go back. The navigation is clear if you do what you are told.

Then move on, tried to make a lunch stop on one of the 3 visitor moorings off Rosslare Strand. New too! The Wexford HM is quite a busy chap. No pick up lines or anything. Too bouncy to get attached, so pushed on to Arklow.

There must have been quite a salesman pushing the idea that the pond at the old Kynoch works would ever be a marina. But hats off for a great selling job. Having missed the entrance to the marina we chose a space on the long pontoon outside.
    There are rumoured to be pontoons in the fish dock. We did not investigate.
    There are showers, but a bit of a walk from the pontoon. Not tested by your reporter.
    Aldi just up the road and tested by your reporter. A multi screen cinema and retail therapy is available too.

On the move again now to the much mentioned Kilmore Quay. Jolly little place with a pleasant welcome. But really only a stopping off point on the way to somewhere else. Amazing chandler for nuts, bolts and washers.

On a roll now and we are off to Waterford. Decide to do two steps. First to Dunmore West, then up to Wexford..
    A night in Dunmore West no sign of anyone in authority. Moor up to the pontoon and leave in the morning to take the tide up to Waterford. A walk in the park compared to Wexford. Though in the small hours a yacht arrives and rafts up against us. Transpires that they had missed the channel and spent a lot of time on their side waiting for the returning tide.

Again a pleasant place, adequate facilities. A typically Irish system using your mobile phone to open the facilities and the gate onto the pontoon.

A night in Waterford and then back to Dunmore. This time we met the HM gopher who registered us in the system. This time you need a fob to get in and out of the facilities and the pontoon is open to all.

And now Youghal. Sort of Salcombe before it got improved. The website tells us that a Harbour Master is about to be appointed. Not before time some might say.

He can get the 8 visitor moorings available to visitors and ensure they have pick up lines. Then he might remind the locals that there is a speed limit in the fairway and the chaos that their wake leaves behind them.
    He can also resolve access arrangements for the so new it still smell of fresh paint pontoon. Keys cannot be obtained outside office hours.

As for all the free for all moorings well who knows how long that will take him to sort out.

Sadly I have not packed a suitable blazer so our visit to Cork might be a bit restricted.
    Are you a stalker . We trod nearly the same path two weeks ago.

I would add our experience of Greystones.

Very expensive stop over(Extra for showers extra for electricity etc etc) but nearest 24 hour easy access landfall from North Wales. New marina but still with Portacabin facilities, main block not finished and a noisy, dusty building site for the new waterside apartments. We did enjoy taking a bus to Bray (Dart was out of action) and using the easy cliff side walk to return, fantastic views. The village is full of good eating and drinking establishments which made our stay there!

Kilmore Quay
    We enjoyed a total of Three Days at Kilmore Quay. There is plenty to do and the seafood from pubs and chippy(Try the Monkfish) is to die for. We enjoyed the 5k circular walk, visiting the memorial garden and could have spent more time around the offshore islands the Saltees at anchor but dense fog prevented us from finding them safely or doing any Bird Watching!
    The Harbour master and assistant could not be more helpful and provided both good advice and very good fresh sea food. (If you try hard enough you will get two nights for the price of one if you talk to the right man......) The showers were clean and adequate but cost a full euro! Ended up waiting for it to run out after a decent all over scrub and rinse...

I learned not to get too hung up about calling up before entering any place. At Greystones we thought we had booked by phone the day before. When we got there no they dont do bookings? In fact I think they were the only ones to answer the radio eventually!
    Arklow we had no response to radio just found the HM waiting to take lines on arrival.He most obligingly took our diesel cans to be filled and returned to us and refused to accept any additional payment. This did make up a little for the open sewer and the advice to wash your hands if you had touched your polluted river soaked lines.
    Kilmore same and when we were in the office radio and phone was ignored to provide uninterrupted customer Craich!

I found the relaxed way of life quite appealing! My partner was not quite so amused as It took her 26 minutes to buy a post card and 35 minutes to buy a souvenir. The conversation comes rapidly,easily and is free! I think they have all kissed the stone!

We had some wind except for the return with 15 hours of motoring in dense fog and flat calm!

The Guinness definitely tastes better......

"Good Luck"
    Now Sailing Bluenote II Hanse 301 based Y Felinheli Dock.

We stayed blazerlessly at the Royal Cork some years ago and weren't thrown out. In fact, they were very sociable. They asked where we had come from, so I patronisingly replied 'near London' and after more questioning narrowed it down to my village, to which they replied 'would that be anywhere near Brightlingsea?'. After swallowing my amazement that they should know the next village, I learned that something like fifteen members had been there the previous year for a Mirror open meeting.

Beamish country.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

The whole experience is pleasant, on balance. The use of mobile phones as the means of contact is a bit new to me.

The time spent in pleasant and diverting conversation is also a bit unusual.

Exception, this morning I phoned Royal Cork to be told to contact them on 37. Just had to work out that it was M1 on my handheld.
    Gwylan, a settee with a sail

You must have hit Poolbeg on a bad day, I've been there many times, regrettably more times by land than by water. The clubhouse is run by volunteers.
    A touch of prudence entering Wexford on a rising tide
    We don't call up the HM/Marina before entering, just rock up.
    When you get to Kinsale and locate the man who dispenses the shower tokens, get twice as many as you need, as you will never find him a second time

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit (of Glenans) View Post
    You must have hit Poolbeg on a bad day, I've been there many times, regrettably more times by land than by water. The clubhouse is run by volunteers.
    A touch of prudence entering Wexford on a rising tide
    We don't call up the HM/Marina before entering, just rock up.
    When you get to Kinsale and locate the man who dispenses the shower tokens, get twice as many as you need, as you will never find him a second time
    A yacht early on in this thread reportedly "rocked up" or, at least, went aground. Careful what you wish for...