Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Pop rivetting problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    I doubt the rivets are completely set, I would invest in the right tool and snap them off correctly.
    +1

Just a note of caution, based upon my experience the really cheap lazy tong rivet guns arenít very good, the jaw mechanism can be problematic. Like all tools, itís better to pay as much as you can afford as, generally, youíll get what you pay for. A large diameter Monel rivet requires a decent tool to insert it.

I remember being anchored in a nice quiet bay, being winched up the mast to fix a jib halyard diverter problem. Each time I pushed the rivet gun against the mast, I simply pushed myself away from the damned thing. Not so funny at the time. In the end I tied a strop around the mast and my waist. Sorted.
    Last edited by davidjackson; 30-06-18 at 07:43. Reason: Spelling & predictive text!

In the past I've used the pliers type in the past but as said, had to use a G cramp to make them 'pop'. I bought a cheap lazy tong type, but did have to play around with it first to get it to work correctly. It now makes it very easy.

So many helpful replies! Thanks to all.
    Now for the confession -
    Reading them slowly, slowly prompted a memory of having had the same problem some years ago, and of posting what must have been a very similar enquiry - and of receiving similarly helpful advice.
    So what must I have done then?
    Well, bought these I suppose:-
    IMG_20180630_103727.jpg
    Found them behind the little box I keep the pliers and rivets in, and , yes, they are just the job.

Quote Originally Posted by MikePalmer View Post
    So many helpful replies! Thanks to all.
    Now for the confession -
    Reading them slowly, slowly prompted a memory of having had the same problem some years ago, and of posting what must have been a very similar enquiry - and of receiving similarly helpful advice.
    So what must I have done then?
    Well, bought these I suppose:-
    IMG_20180630_103727.jpg
    Found them behind the little box I keep the pliers and rivets in, and , yes, they are just the job.
    I have a se of these (as mentioned they are cheap now coming out of either Taiwan or mainland China) the big issue with working up a mast is that you need to be 'behind' them which means you need to swing away from the mast so that you can push the 'end' into the rivet and get enough leverage on the handles. Having someone on deck who can pull you off the mast, simply a piece of rope, helps enormously - its very difficult otherwise (though maybe easier if you are not a 9 stone weakling )

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by MikePalmer View Post
    I am unable to "pop" 4.8mm Monel pop rivets with my pliers , they do set the rivet, but then will not snap the shaft. They don't slip or fold up (an earlier pair did collapse) , but even with the handles extended a few inches with ring spanners I just cannot exert enough force.
    Is this meant to be the case? Should I be getting the lazy-tong type setter or have I got a duff batch of rivets?
    Meantime, I am going to have to Dremel off the projecting bits of the three (yes, I was a bit slow to conclude that something was not going right) - that are sticking out of my main boom.
    Or just strong hands. As a lad it was easier.

Sometimes you can brace one handle against the work surface and use two hands on the other handle. It can work pretty well. I just finished doing a bunch for an article that way. But I have to get my weight over them.

I used to be stronger.

(BTW, 4.8 mm is a very standard 3/16-inch US size. Funny. Practically all dinghies and beach cats use those, generally with 316 or 304 SS rivets. After looking at many cats that have been on the beach for decades, I'm not convinced monel makes any difference at all.)
    Last edited by thinwater; 01-07-18 at 02:46.

You can get a small pop rivet head for use with a cordless drill, makes the whole job easy, mine cost £15

>my pliers

Pliers are not designed for rivets, as said get along handled rivet gun.

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    >my pliers

Pliers are not designed for rivets, as said get along handled rivet gun.
    I think the OP meant a pliers type of pop rivet gun eg https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Han...Riveter/p96398

I am sure he is not so dumb as to try to use ordinary pliers

Air riveters work well even with a tiny DIY compressor.
    Brexit: Taking back our freedom as a sovereign nation.

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    I think the OP meant a pliers type of pop rivet gun eg https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Han...Riveter/p96398

I am sure he is not so dumb as to try to use ordinary pliers
    Thank you, Vic, for that (modest , it must be said) endorsement. Though if you had read my confession a few posts back you might not have been even that supportive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12