Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need some diesel. Guernsey, Cherbourg or Gosport?

Whereís best nowadays?

Currently in St Peter Port, so could stroll round to Boatworks and see the going rate but hereís the thing; Iíd have absolutely no idea how that would compare with other options on the way home.

Last time I tied up alongside a pump was the Dartmouth barge 24 months ago and Iíve no idea how much I paid then.

Last season was very quiet/good sailing for us and I kept topped up by filling my cans on the way down to the boat. Now after a trip to Brest and back I find myself needing c200 litres and wondering if itís worth carrying it across the channel.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

Default Re: Need some diesel. Guernsey, Cherbourg or Gosport?

St PP is likely to be half the price of the other two options, although the pontoon isn't available towards LW

Was in St PP last week by Land Yacht, and surprised that the forecourt prices are now more than in the UK!! 2 years ago they were quite a bit cheaper, so I expect Boatworks prices are higher in comparison with UK. Probably still cheaper than UK marinas as said. I only half-filled the car tank before leaving for Guernsey, but that turned out to be a big mistake! One garage was 145.9 per litre!

Geoff

Guernsey will be red if that's a consideration
    If you're not confused, you're probably misinformed

Best I take a walk round the harbour in the morning and see what the price is. What’s the going rate in the Solent at the mo?

As to the red issue I guess I’m forever tainted after my fill in Dartmouth. Just have to avoid Belgium and Holland to avoid any complications.

As an aside, we were boarded by the French customs on Friday morning about 10 miles SE of Roche Douvre. No question about fuel (red, receipt long lost) or flares (at home in the garage as well out of date) but plenty of questions about our trip, ports, passports etc and a token search for contraband.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Appledore View Post
    Was in St PP last week by Land Yacht, and surprised that the forecourt prices are now more than in the UK!! 2 years ago they were quite a bit cheaper, so I expect Boatworks prices are higher in comparison with UK. Probably still cheaper than UK marinas as said. I only half-filled the car tank before leaving for Guernsey, but that turned out to be a big mistake! One garage was 145.9 per litre!

Geoff
    Four weeks ago Boatworks' price for red marine diesel was 67p per litre.
    Probably still the same!

If you want fuel in bulk, arrange for a tanker to meet you at Abraham's Bosom in St Sampson's harbour at a discounted price.
    On the internet no one knows you are a donkey.

Quote Originally Posted by smb View Post
    Where’s best nowadays?

Currently in St Peter Port, so could stroll round to Boatworks and see the going rate but here’s the thing; I’d have absolutely no idea how that would compare with other options on the way home.

Last time I tied up alongside a pump was the Dartmouth barge 24 months ago and I’ve no idea how much I paid then.

Last season was very quiet/good sailing for us and I kept topped up by filling my cans on the way down to the boat. Now after a trip to Brest and back I find myself needing c200 litres and wondering if it’s worth carrying it across the channel.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
    Lazy s*d. Get off your backside and go for a leisurely walk around SPP and find out the prices there.

You've probably no idea how many of us desk bound people are looking at this on the computer screen, would love to walk around Guernsey instead... :-)

My understanding is that the fuel berth in St Sampson is considerably cheaper than Boatworks, especially for a larger (MoBo) order.

I filled up in Cowes last weekend - 99ppl for 60/40 split up to 500l (few pence off for more than that). Port Hamble is a few pence more again.

Cherbourg was 1.20 euro a couple of months ago.

That’s all brilliant input and just what I wanted, though not sure about the advice to get of my backside.. sounds too much like my doctor or wife.

Anyways, I took that stroll in the sunshine and can report that Boatworks is 69ppl, pretty ladies are out and about, the coffee is good and I’ll be speaking to mr layabouts employer about how he uses his time.

Steve
    Last edited by smb; 02-07-18 at 11:13.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast