Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Lucky escape...

Default Re: Lucky escape...

Re seacocks, print and laminate some signs with seacocks open on one side and seacocks closed on the other. Useful for heads and engine.
    Re tank, I think you are thinking of a buffer tank that only pumps to sea rather than a holding tank which has a deck fitting for shore side pump out.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by colind3782 View Post
    I've often wondered about using aguafuerte on my electric Matro Marine bog but I've been scared of damaging the electric pump and/or seals. What d'yer reckon?
    I have been using version of HCl and aguafuerte for 10 years on my Jabsco electric toilet. Electric pump and seals are fine

TudorSailor

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    Re seacocks, print and laminate some signs with seacocks open on one side and seacocks closed on the other. Useful for heads and engine.
    Re tank, I think you are thinking of a buffer tank that only pumps to sea rather than a holding tank which has a deck fitting for shore side pump out.
    I wouldn't expect any guest to even see the seacocks let alone open or close them so haven't bothered labelling mine. I haven't heard the term "buffer tank" before, and in all honesty I've never heard of anyone ever actually pumping out their holding tank rather than discharging it offshore.

Like some others here I have never had heads block, I suspect largely because we use lined pedal bins for paper - and that is also a great deal more civilised for swimmers who have to clamber over rocks lined with slightly stained paper which has floated in.

Quote Originally Posted by Laysula View Post
    Nothing goes down the bog unless it has been eaten first. All paper goes into little perfumed nappy bags and chucked into the bin. It's about time that all boats had holding tanks, there's no excuse, they come in all sizes and are not expensive.
    What happens to the sewage in your holding tanks?
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Certainly that plays a part. But also consider the massive increase in use a school boat, for example, has. Four to six people on board for five or six days a time, forty something weeks a year. Lots of things wear much faster.
    I have a hired chemical toilet (festival style) in my garden at the moment. According to sticker inside, it meets HSE standards for seven people working 40-hour weeks, as long as it is emptied weekly. The tank is pretty big, and that's without using new water to flush.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    I wouldn't expect any guest to even see the seacocks let alone open or close them so haven't bothered labelling mine. I haven't heard the term "buffer tank" before, and in all honesty I've never heard of anyone ever actually pumping out their holding tank rather than discharging it offshore.
    I haven't heard the term either. On the other hand Turkey is getting uppity about sewage and providing pump-out facilities and requiring their use. Have used one for a yacht which had four heads each with holding tank and separate pumping needed...

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    I have a hired chemical toilet (festival style) in my garden at the moment. According to sticker inside, it meets HSE standards for seven people working 40-hour weeks, as long as it is emptied weekly. The tank is pretty big, and that's without using new water to flush.
    Where do you put it on your boat?

What happens to the sewage in your holding tanks?
    I'm guessing that like mine it goes into the sea a little way offshore. When I have seen people (presumably accidentally) discharging into an anchorage the nasty stuff seems to cause a fish feeding frenzy whilst the paper drifts down to coat the sea bed. Sewage seems to be broken up by sea life very quickly indeed provided it's all been eaten first, but I'd still rather people went the odd half mile offshore first - whatever the international regs say a few dozen yachts are not like a cruise ferry or big ship discharging.

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Where do you put it on your boat?
    Straight into the sea, just the fish, the seals, the porpoises and the seabirds. Of course being a civilised person I use the toilets ashore when in port.

The average turd is 100g of which 75% is water and a mere Olympic swimming pool contains 2500m3 of water, so depositing and mixing the former in the later results in only 1 part in 100,000,000 suspended solids. I think the environment can cope.

Straight into the sea, just the fish, the seals, the porpoises and the seabirds. Of course being a civilised person I use the toilets ashore when in port.

The average turd is 100g of which 75% is water and a mere Olympic swimming pool contains 2500m3 of water, so depositing and mixing the former in the later results in only 1 part in 100,000,000 suspended solids. I think the environment can cope.
    Very good but what about the chemical heads you mentioned and I enquired about?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast