Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Zero to Hero wannabes

Is there no limit....?

Fifteen numpties had 'close encounters' with eternity on Lake Solent, last Monday. Are they going for some sort of record......?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-44694062

Default Re: Zero to Hero wannabes

I'm afraid this was a rather feeble series of attempts at the Darwin Award compared to the Aussie woman who tried hand-feeding sharks. And she survived too. The government will need to step up funding if the UK is not to be sidelined in it's attempt to win this famous international award.

I can remember from my childhood, when getting wet wasn't an option I could avoid, that we used to play with inflatable beds and conoes in sheltered bays in Cornwall. I don't remember a time when we considered that it could be dangerous, and we had our parents keeping an eye on us should a problem have arisen. The British coast has such variety that a blanket 'no-inflatables' rule wouldn't make sense in some places, and often there is no clear distinction between river and sea anyway. You can't always protect people from themselves and I think it would be a misuse of authority to impose any restrictions except perhaps having a hazard warning on such toys.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    I don't remember a time when we considered that it could be dangerous, and we had our parents keeping an eye on us should a problem have arisen.
    I think you have probably hit the nail on the head as nowadays parents seem to be too engrossed in their mobile devices to keep a proper lookout.
    Gosport NCI - Call us on Ch 65 for a radio check if passing.

Nothing new, when i was six I disappeared off up the coast in an inner tube, the folk who had taken me to the beach were a trifle upset, as was my mum when she found out. 1956, multiple drownings round cornwall then, before they got lifeguards.

“BETTER DROWNED THAN DUFFERS. IF NOT DUFFERS WONT DROWN”

In spite of opinions that have been expressed to the contrary, I'm either not a duffer or a spectacularly incompetent one, having failed to drown myself in spite of my best efforts on a lilo and an inflatable canoe
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

For once in forty years we have a summer and lots of people will be flocking to the beach and have no idea about the power of mother nature.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.
    Gib'Sea 96 owner

What's not to like about an inflatable unicorn? I was thinking of getting a couple as an alternative to the tender

Laika has the right idea.

It's sometimes a tad too serious in here, so in an effort to change that, I propose a new race - The Great YBW Beach Toy Race.
    A Course will be set and a Notice of Race issued. ISAF RRS will not apply. Human powered craft only.
    Subject to entry numbers, there will be several classes: Individual, Four-Footed, Team and Retiree ( Over 65 ). Valid entry certificates to be pinned to their relevant vessels.

Lavish prizes. And more lavish prizes.

Acceptable examples are shown below...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast