Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: Hunter Duette as a single handed club racer?

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Muse View Post
    From many years of experience racing singlehanded against crewed boats (more than 300 races) I can tell you that, by a huge margin, the biggest obstacle you will face to winning is leeward drift because you have no weight on the rail. (This is even after you have learned to do all of the sailing maneuvers properly) Once the wind gets up above 10, your drift will leave you at the back of the pack every time. You can imagine drifting 100 or 200 yards to leeward for a 1/2 mile upwind leg. This drift will even hit you on the starting line, where you will drift down onto the boat below you, so you end up pinching until they have passed you by and you can tack. So what you want to do is find a boat that will not depend on weight on the rail so much, and will allow you to sail as high as the crewed boats. And even then, you will want to follow the race starting instructions in my singlehanded tips book. Have fun.
    Absolutely right, of course.

A Six Metre?

These people seem to be racing Hunter Europas:

Js9000 , always fancied one myself

Quote Originally Posted by markhomer View Post
    Js9000 , always fancied one myself
    Nice, but probably a bit much for me on my own

In Club round the cans racing, it seldom pays to have the "scratch" boat, even if you can sail her to her limits.

One point. For our club beer-can racing (but not trophy races or regattas) I was given a 13 second per mile adjustment to my handicap rating for singlehanding. Everyone was happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Muse View Post
    One point. For our club beer-can racing (but not trophy races or regattas) I was given a 13 second per mile adjustment to my handicap rating for singlehanding. Everyone was happy with that.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by lpdsn View Post
    One problem you're going to have is that the RRS require you to manouvre promptly in a seamanlike manner. It's not a particularly high standard for a fully crewed boat but if you start entering races for fully crewed boats then, as I understand it, no allowance is made for you being light-handed or single-handed.

So quite likely in the rough and tumble of starts or mark roundings you're going to struggle to manouvre well enough. Even if you don't end up in collisions and the others in the club are too reticent to protest you are still going to end up irritating people.

Better to get a dinghy you can sail on your own or to crew for a owner you get on well with.
    +1

I was always happy to sail my E-Boat singlehanded or two up, but three on the rail she went faster. Four on the rail, faster still. All on the same rating. Think of your crew weight on the rail being the force applied to squeeze a bar of soap out a wet hand. The harder you squeeze, the faster it will go...

So please, if you want to race (and competitively) get a single handed boat or a regular crew. JOG racing does allow for 2-handed races but this isn't your local club racing.

This isn’t an easy choice, s/h racing against crewed boats is never easy, especially downwind when you really need to fly a kite, and even worse when you are up against Sonatas or similar, however it is possible, at the times my crew weren’t available I used to race around the cans s/h in my Invicta 26, didn’t bother with the kite and on a couple of occasions actually won, on longer races I with the aid of the Autohelm I did use the kite, never won but neither did I come in last.
    I haven’t tried a s/h racing yet with my new boat (Sadler 25) yet, but from the way she feels I think if I have to go s/h I won’t
    be coming in last.
    One boat which I have had to really fight hard against is the Achilles 24 both crewed and single handed.

If not too late for an oldish thread, what you need chum is an Anderson 22; goes better than a Duette, especially in a breeze, handles like a dream and doesn't require bods on the side.

Big sister of the Squib and Europa, usually lift keel ( so cheap moorings & exploring possible too ) but there is one of two special fin keelers made, she did very well in Clyde racing but now needs quite a bit of TLC - going remarkably cheap but based in Scotland.

My website is down at the moment due to malevant attack, but I can give any info' you like - if just for club racing a Mk1 keelcase would suit well, and put the willies up a few people.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12