Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Emergency rudder/tiller account

The first time I lost steering was on an AC contender in the Solent in 1974ish.

We had been carrying a big spinnaker with difficulty (but hey ! we are racers ), and then a sequence of Chinese gybes took place. The mainsheet wrapped itself round the wheel, and pulled the wheel and all its support gear out of the deck. Mr Bejen took the pic a few moments before the drama.

The gorillas tamed the 'chute and dropped it, and I dug out the emergency tiller and passed it back to the skipper, who undid the plate in the cockpit floor and fitted the tiller to the rudder head.

Luckily the cables had jumped off the sheaves, so the rudder was free to move.

We tried to continue racing, but the leverage on the tiller was a two, sometimes three person job, so we retired and headed back to Cowes.

This was a racing boat with clued -up crew. Had we been a cruising twosome, it would have taken an awfully long time to sort everything out.

(I'm the navigator in the hatch .....) )

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by sarabande; 06-07-18 at 19:26.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    One mustn't forget the half-dozen quality fine-toothed hacksaw blades, oiled and kept in a sealed wrapper, for the one occasion in a lifetime when one needs - really needs - to saw through some bits of standing rigging, or the jagged edges of two halves of a bust boom..... (doesn't everyone carry a set?)
    Its interesting what we (everyone?) carry in case of emergency.

I've been carrying bolt croppers for decades and never needed them in an emergency (but have needed them at home). I have gear pullers and never needed them in an emergency (but have needed them at home). Not to mention the storm jib, life raft, EPIRB, flares, lifejackets, bilge pumps, emergency steering none of which we have used in anger. But we have used the trailing log, emergency nav lights, aforementioned drill and hacksaw (blade not wrapped in oiled cloth).

I chartered a brand new boat out of La Rochelle. Wind was high - at least F7. The wheel steering went but we were able to get the emergency tiller in place fairly quickly - luckily because we were off a lee shore.

Back at the marina the broken chain was fixed and we backed out. The problem was that the chain was attached in such a way that the boat steered the opposite way to the way one turned the wheel. Very confusing especially when reversing out of the marina.

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    Its interesting what we (everyone?) carry in case of emergency.

I've been carrying bolt croppers for decades and never needed them in an emergency (but have needed them at home). I have gear pullers and never needed them in an emergency (but have needed them at home). Not to mention the storm jib, life raft, EPIRB, flares, lifejackets, bilge pumps, emergency steering none of which we have used in anger. But we have used the trailing log, emergency nav lights, aforementioned drill and hacksaw (blade not wrapped in oiled cloth).
    Things must have really gone pear shaped if you get to needing a life raft at home. Though the Somerset levels do come to mind. Brings a cartoon to mind of two people sitting on the roof of the house surrounded by water saying... "Typical I left everything we need for this on the boat".
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Vejnnnnonlvnjvnonbbvvbvgjbvjjvnkvivcvjbnm

All well in St Neots, Jimi ?
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

For the record we had a cable pulley wheel casting break on a Sweden 38 (1990 vintage)

The emergency tiller which was a stainless hoop with two plates welded to match up with flat sides on rudder stock.

The tiller lasted maybe half an hour of upwind sailing in 25 knots and ocean swell. Fortunately we had an auto helm 6000 operating directly on the rudder quadrant, so ran the engine and motored upwind for two days to get back to the Canaries. Luckily we hadn't got too far West. Parking with autohelm was fun. From that experience it seems the emergency tiller simply wasn't up to the job, which was a surprise on a boat that was generally well made.
    quicKutter rope cutter, shaft and rudder bearings
    www.h4marine.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12