Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Emergency rudder/tiller account

Here's an interesting account of a 100nm recovery using a 'lash-up' emergency rudder/tiller assembly, after the effective failure of a Galeride drogue. The subsequent comments also have interesting points.....

http://bermudarace.com/jury-rigged-r...es-to-bermuda/

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

Default Re: Emergency rudder/tiller account

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    Here's an interesting account of a 100nm recovery using a 'lash-up' emergency rudder/tiller assembly, after the effective failure of a Galeride drogue. The subsequent comments also have interesting points.....

http://bermudarace.com/jury-rigged-r...es-to-bermuda/
    Interesting.

Its is a legal requirement where we are to have an emergency tiller arrangement on all wheel steering boats but that would not help in this case.

In my practical exam for my skippers ticket the examiner asked how would you rig an emergency tiller? some came up with buckets as a droge but the answer he wanted we a spinnaker pole and floorboard as shown in you attached link.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

Cruisers. Hydrovane is your best pal.

Was running a Jenneau 45 once on a charter in the West Indies, going south past Guadaloupe. My wife was hostess. She noticed there was a steering problem and called me on deck. I was presented with one of the two wheels. Fortunately the autopilot was direct drive onto the rudder stock so we continued on to the marina in the capital. The last ten miles were straight into the now considerable wind and sea. The autopilot coped but the mainsail, although reefed, split in two. The starboard bow light decided to abandon ship.

Anyway, as we got close to the marina, we needed to call on VHF to get an easy berth, using the emergency tiller. No prob, I can do that. However, one of our customers said she was fluent in French and would talk to the marina. By this time it's near midnight. Five seconds later, four high speed ribs, one with flashing orange light raced to our position. ' What is the emergency, captain??? '. Errr.....

If an emergency tiller is a legal necessity than I understand why such a daft implementation is used on most boats that have a centre cockpit. In my experience (Halberg Rassy and Moody, the emergency tiller is used while sitting comfortably in the aft cabin. With absolutely no view forward whatsoever.
    I noticed on that young girls circumnavigated boat (Guppy) the emergency tiller was extended up through the aft deck and was also used for the Wind Pilot steering lines.

I have also done that on both boats for the same reason. Also read that a tang added to the trailing edge of a rudder can carry two steering ropes to the aft cleats to cover most rudder damage.

Quote Originally Posted by BurnitBlue View Post
    If an emergency tiller is a legal necessity than I understand why such a daft implementation is used on most boats that have a centre cockpit. In my experience (Halberg Rassy and Moody, the emergency tiller is used while sitting comfortably in the aft cabin. With absolutely no view forward whatsoever.

That why I've got a Hydrovane. On our first Windies cruise, the belt driven autopilot went wonky whist going west past Tarifa. Despite lots of endeavour, we didn't ever get it to work again.

Our second trip with Hydrovane was a delight.

On the plus side though, my wife and I are very, very good at boat steery.

The Rival 41C (centre cockpit) has an emergency tiller shaft that goes through the deck head. The yachts were built like that with a deck fitting flush with the aft cabin coach roof.

Having experimented with jury rudders / tillers with spinnikar poles in the past, they have always failed for the reasons stated in the article: twisting boards. I like their simple solutions of drilling through the pole and using screw drivers to lock it up.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    I like their simple solutions of drilling through the pole and using screw drivers to lock it up.
    I like that idea. Perhaps a step on, if one is 'preparing' for such an occurrence, is to have a couple of suitable-length 8mm eye bolts-with eye-nuts and a couple of 8mm sharp twist drill bits, and some large s/s washers.

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    I like that idea. Perhaps a step on, if one is 'preparing' for such an occurrence, is to have a couple of suitable-length 8mm eye bolts-with eye-nuts and a couple of 8mm sharp twist drill bits, and some large s/s washers.
    It depends on your spinnaker pole I'd make them 'long' drill bits - so that you can drill right through in one but if you need to especially carry drilling bits, (doesn't everyone carry a set?) you had better remember the battery drill (and keep it charged).

We were on a China Sea Race, HK to San Fernando, and the tiller extension snapped at the fitting on the tiller. Steering at the time was an accomplished yachtsman, his brother ran the North loft in Helsinki. He looked at me in blank amazement when I admitted we had been carrying a little Stanley hand drill- for such an eventuality. All it needed was a few mm chopped of the end (and I also carried the hacksaw) and a new hole drill for a clevis pin.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    .....if you need to especially carry drilling bits, (doesn't everyone carry a set?) you had better remember the battery drill (and keep it charged).

I admitted we had been carrying a little Stanley hand drill- for such an eventuality. All it needed was a few mm chopped of the end (and I also carried the hacksaw) and a new hole drill for a clevis pin.

One mustn't forget the half-dozen quality fine-toothed hacksaw blades, oiled and kept in a sealed wrapper, for the one occasion in a lifetime when one needs - really needs - to saw through some bits of standing rigging, or the jagged edges of two halves of a bust boom..... (doesn't everyone carry a set?)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast