Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sea breeze North Sea

Planning on heading from Ipswich to Inverness next week, ambient wind does not look helpful so thought there might be a very useful sea breeze in this weather (which is forecast to hold). I'd like to stay well offshore if poss so wondered how far off the east coast the sea breeze might reach partic between the Wash and Forth.
    Any thoughts?
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

Default Re: Sea breeze North Sea

It is not a subject that I have explored in detail but my impression of sea and land-breezes is that they extend about five miles, which I don't think comes under the heading of well-offshore.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

And unfortunately seems to have been lots of har (fog) on the east coast which is a nuisance in itself, and may reduce sea breeze

Hi Jimi, my thoughts are that sea breezes and land breezes happen on this coast, but unpredictably. My instinct would be to follow the inshore commercial buoyage until Humber entrance is crossed. It will keep you clear of the windfarms and the sometimes dense crab potting areas. eg Cromer. There is anchorage both N and S of Flamboro Head if you need to sleep a foul tide stream. Thereafter you will find crab pots laid out to 60m depth, which can be a long way out! It could be a monotonous passage.
    Blow wind, rise storm,
    Ship ashore before dawn.

Quote Originally Posted by EdWingfield View Post
    Hi Jimi, my thoughts are that sea breezes and land breezes happen on this coast, but unpredictably. My instinct would be to follow the inshore commercial buoyage until Humber entrance is crossed. It will keep you clear of the windfarms and the sometimes dense crab potting areas. eg Cromer. There is anchorage both N and S of Flamboro Head if you need to sleep a foul tide stream. Thereafter you will find crab pots laid out to 60m depth, which can be a long way out! It could be a monotonous passage.
    Many thanks, Ed. Yes I think it will feel a long way and suspect it may require a diesel stop!
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

Most ports will sell diesel. But perhaps your most convenient will be Royal Quays Marina (R Tyne). It is all-weather, all-tide and 24hr operation.
    Blow wind, rise storm,
    Ship ashore before dawn.

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by EdWingfield View Post
    And laid in profusion!! In fact, I found the darn things in my way nearly the whole way from Harwich to Aberdeen. (May be exaggerating a bit, but they are a day-long menace).

Sadly I had to motor/motor-sail quite a lot due to poor winds and can't remember any notable offshore/on-shore breezes (June 2015)
    Are you overnighting in port(s) or going non-stop?
    If the former then I found Scarborough (on entry, keep well in to the east wall of the harbour!) a good stop-over; Whitby ( entrance not good in heavy onshore swell/winds) interesting and useful; Blyth useful, with very interesting "club house"; Eyemouth, gloomy in poor weather but very helpful HM; Peterhead useful and friendly HM.
    But the star was the Royal Tay Yacht Club at Broughty Ferry (Dundee). I was provided a free visitor mooring, access to the sumptuous club house with good food, good storage for dinghy, gear etc., and very helpful/friendly people. Not sure about fuel provisions there.
    I thoroughly recommend you contact them.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Robert Wilson; 06-07-18 at 07:25.
    Kay Sarah Sarah
    57°51.42' N 5°29.44' W

Hi Robert, I'm planning to keep going. If stopping my preferred stops will be Blyth and Peterhead. I'd like to go into Burghead as well if I've got time cos that's where my boaty career started when I went out on an inshore trawler there as a young lad during my hols .. fond memories!

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay.

If you are tall in stature you will need to stoop in the club bar in Blyth !!

Enjoy you voyage, and hopefully some fine sailing
    Kay Sarah Sarah
    57°51.42' N 5°29.44' W

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Wilson View Post
    If you are tall in stature you will need to stoop in the club bar in Blyth !!

Enjoy you voyage, and hopefully some fine sailing
    You've obviously never met me ;-) The only things tall about me are tales of past exploits ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast