Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The reality - tablet pyooters on deck.

If you've noticed my comments in other threads you'll be aware that I've been contemplating returning a Garmin chartplotter and replacing it with a tablet running Navionics charting.

How have people dealt with protecting them from the elements? I'll be using it in a keelboat with no roof, so need good waterproofing - regardless of how much care I take, things do sometimes migrate to the bilge.

I see that Aquapac make a tablet case, but having had several of their 'phone and vhf cases know that they don't like non-slip paint much and wear a bit on the corners of what's in them. I'm pretty sure that a ziplock freezer bag is about as good. But pretty sure isn't good enough when it's a £200 thing inside really.

So what I'm hoping for is something a little more durable, and if possible, something that helps with daylight viewing.

Default Re: The reality - tablet pyooters on deck.

There's a reason chartplotters cost a bit more than tablets - they're waterproof, hard-wired to power, and designed for chartplotting.

The iPad cases made by Lifeproof are excellent like they say lifeproof.

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    There's a reason chartplotters cost a bit more than tablets - they're waterproof, hard-wired to power, and designed for chartplotting.
    Of course, but there's also a reason that I'm ditching the £750 handheld Garmin.

It can't get me round a pattern of buoys, every 'next course' is 001 degrees, VMG is consistently 0, it locks up so that I have to take the battery out to restart it (not so waterproof when I'm doing that), the submarine barrier in the E Solent is more or less absent (which obviously gives me complete faith in the rest of the charting). It would be nice if the power button didn't stick out so that the slightest brush didn't turn it on or off, and the case couldn't be a worse shape for holding in a wet gloved hand.

I know that the point you were making is about fixed plotters, but as I said, it's an open boat and has no handy bulkhead to screw one to, or indeed battery to power it.

May not suit your circs but a phone with Navionics loaded does a good job. Just remember to turn the screen off when you pocket it after checking up where you are and where you're going. Then you won't kill the battery.

High end Sony phones have water and dust protection for peace of mind. Other phones likewise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Rhino View Post
    The iPad cases made by Lifeproof are excellent like they say lifeproof.
    They look superb and just what I hoped would exist, the snag is that they don't list one for the Samsung tablet I'm about to order. If nothing else come up I'll call them tomorrow and see if they have expansion plans...

Quote Originally Posted by James_Calvert View Post
    May not suit your circs but a phone with Navionics loaded does a good job. Just remember to turn the screen off when you pocket it after checking up where you are and where you're going. Then you won't kill the battery.

High end Sony phones have water and dust protection for peace of mind. Other phones likewise.
    Kind of prefer a tablet size-wise, even though it'll be more of a liability.

I've had one 'waterproofed' 'phone which failed my enthusiastic testing, and also read that Sony have retracted their waterproof Experia descriptions too.

How about the Sony Xperia tablet? Waterproof-ish without a case.

https://www.sonymobile.com/gb/produc...eria-tablet-z/

Quote Originally Posted by Sony website
    The water resistant(1) Xperia Tablet Z can easily handle a dip in the sink. We even made sure it can keep going after 30 minutes underwater up to 1 metre. Just remember that all the covers for the micro USB port, the micro SIM slot, the headphone jack and the memory card slot must be firmly closed.
    Graham. Bavaria 42 Vision, "Scala" now sold. Boatless.

My tablet case is from Sea-Things.eu. Note I don't have a specific recommendation; I have not really put it to the test!

Mike.

Lets see- Short battery life, lack of waterproofing, hard to see in strong daylight. Great for a backup or the odd day sail, but not really up to the task when things get serious.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast