Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Live Staffordshire Moorlands/Boat Pwllheli

Default IRC Rating - Spinnaker size

Boat is rated at 0.997, with biggest Assymetric spinnaker 92 sq M.
    It would be good for us if we could get the rating down to 0.990 so we can score in a different class.
    Whilst we don't particularly want to reduce sail size, we predominantly race offshore and wondered how much smaller would the A2 have to be to achieve this
    I think we are stuck with the higher rating but any thoughts?
    (boat is sunfast 3200)
    Sunfast 3200
    Irish Sea

Default Re: IRC Rating - Spinnaker size

Quote Originally Posted by harstonwood View Post
    It would be good for us if we could get the rating down to 0.990 so we can score in a different class.
    Whilst we don't particularly want to reduce sail size, we predominantly race offshore and wondered how much smaller would the A2 have to be to achieve this
    (boat is sunfast 3200)
    I almost certainly wouldn't reduce the kite area. I'd look at reduced Jib luff length and possibly a shorter foot main. Should be able to get 7 points with some pretty minor changes I'd have thought.
    You never know, I might be right!

Quote Originally Posted by flaming View Post
    I almost certainly wouldn't reduce the kite area. I'd look at reduced Jib luff length and possibly a shorter foot main. Should be able to get 7 points with some pretty minor changes I'd have thought.
    Thanks for that
    May look at reducing the main a touch then. To many good Jibs.
    Sunfast 3200
    Irish Sea

(boat is sunfast 3200)

Just bear in mind that there is a reason that the mk2 SF3200's have a much bigger mast and sail area than originally specified for the mk1 design and why pretty much all the original SunFast 3200's now have oversized mainsails / jibs / spinnakers compared to the original specification, because the boat is incredibly sticky in light airs without the larger sails. So if you are sure that all of your races will be in 8 knots of breeze or over then go for it, but if you do have any light airs races you will probably have to accept that you will come last in them as opposed to with the larger sail plan you still stand a chance of being at least mid fleet ( I did win one light airs coastal race in the three seasons I had the 3200 but it really isn't their forte no matter what you do).

Quote Originally Posted by Ingwe View Post
    Just bear in mind that there is a reason that the mk2 SF3200's have a much bigger mast and sail area than originally specified for the mk1 design and why pretty much all the original SunFast 3200's now have oversized mainsails / jibs / spinnakers compared to the original specification, because the boat is incredibly sticky in light airs without the larger sails. So if you are sure that all of your races will be in 8 knots of breeze or over then go for it, but if you do have any light airs races you will probably have to accept that you will come last in them as opposed to with the larger sail plan you still stand a chance of being at least mid fleet ( I did win one light airs coastal race in the three seasons I had the 3200 but it really isn't their forte no matter what you do).
    Different calculation though when you're talking about dropping rating to be the scratch boat in the fleet below.

It is a shame that he's ruled out the shorter jib hoist though, as that does seem to be a way to get quite a few points saved off without losing any especially useful sail area. I'd also think about having the boat weighed if I hadn't already done that. Often good for a few points. And then just check all the dimensions, have the largest jib re-measured. It's probably shrunk so might be a point there. Ditto the kite. 7 points isn't huge and can probably be done without major surgery....
    You never know, I might be right!

Quote Originally Posted by Ingwe View Post
    All good points. Itís generally breezy in the Irish Sea. Will have to have a think. No rush to do anything.
    Sunfast 3200
    Irish Sea

Quote Originally Posted by flaming View Post
    Different calculation though when you're talking about dropping rating to be the scratch boat in the fleet below.

It is a shame that he's ruled out the shorter jib hoist though, as that does seem to be a way to get quite a few points saved off without losing any especially useful sail area. I'd also think about having the boat weighed if I hadn't already done that. Often good for a few points. And then just check all the dimensions, have the largest jib re-measured. It's probably shrunk so might be a point there. Ditto the kite. 7 points isn't huge and can probably be done without major surgery....
    Will be doing a full weigh/measure next year
    Funnily enough I have measured the Jibs, and they are shorter than the data on the irc certificate
    I do take note of your comments flaming, and am very grateful for them.
    Sunfast 3200
    Irish Sea

All good points. It’s generally breezy in the Irish Sea. Will have to have a think. No rush to do anything.
    Ha! Ha! Ha! after yet another race ruined with zero wind I'm beginning to wonder.
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

Quote Originally Posted by savageseadog View Post
    Ha! Ha! Ha! after yet another race ruined with zero wind I'm beginning to wonder.
    Which race?
    Sunfast 3200
    Irish Sea

Round Isle of Man, Manx Sailing and Cruising Club, Sunday 8th June
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast