Default Swanage Bay Buoys

I was in Swanage (land side) recently and noticed there's 3 buoys in the middle of the bay about level where the road goes in land towards Studland. I can't find anything on the charts does anyone know what they're about? I'm heading in that direction tomorrow and was wondering about picking one up rather than going round to Studland as there's a Northerlies and Easterlies forecast.
    Adventure before dementia

Default Re: Swanage Bay Buoys

Would that be about where the hotel/bar is on the beach? They used to have their own moorings for visiting boats. Swanage can be uncomfortable in Easterlies

Quote Originally Posted by colhel View Post
    Would that be about where the hotel/bar is on the beach? They used to have their own moorings for visiting boats. Swanage can be uncomfortable in Easterlies
    Yes, they'll be the ones. Everywhere round there is uncomfortable in Easterlies but it doesn't look like its going to be that strong. Last time I stayed there I tucked in under Ballard Point, but I wasn't confident with the holding so didn't sleep well anyway.
    Adventure before dementia

If its an easterly it will be a roly stay, you would be better off in Poole harbour

Returned to South Coast from West Coast of Scotland.

The place to be in an Easterly is just inside Poole harbour on the left (West) side out of the channel beside Brownsee Island. It only takes half an hour to motor there from Studland Bay. Anchor in about 3m.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishscorp View Post
    If its an easterly it will be a roly stay, you would be better off in Poole harbour
    Chapman's Pool will be also be like a millpond if a little tidally constrained.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Chapman's Pool will be also be like a millpond if a little tidally constrained.
    I have often found it also to be rolly polly due to tide when otherwise flat calm, which on one occasion made me up sticks in the middle of the night and head for Weymouth.

May be a bit late, but if you want a bouy for the night try Swanage Sailing Club. Think last time we used one we were charged a tenner, and you'll have somewhere secure to land your dinghy
    https://www.swanagesailingclub.org.uk/moorings/

If ever there was a place that should have built a marina it is Swanage. The prosperity it would have brought the town would have justified it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven Spades View Post
    If ever there was a place that should have built a marina it is Swanage. The prosperity it would have brought the town would have justified it.
    Sooooo right! They got close twenty years ago with EEC help but lost the plot before it was built.