Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dover new marina

Anyone got any news or views on the new Dover marina? I might be interested... the website has a facility to sign up for updates but I am not sure itís working. Is anyone here in the existing marina, and if so how do they find it? I donít live too far away and Iím thinking about all sorts of options to move the boat to a place with more water than here

Thank you
    Graham

Default Re: Dover new marina

As a visitor a couple of seasons ago, I have to say the marina was fine - depending on your mooring. Head into the road side pontoon in Granville is, ahem, less than stellar as all you see is granite and smelly weed. The temp facilities for Granville were fine, but the main issue is Dover itself, which, once away from the marina and into the town... is ... errrr... grotty... We met up with a couple from our YC on our way back from south coast who had been stuck in Dover for five days.
    Larry Botheras

Colvic Victor 35 "Gladys"

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    We met up with a couple from our YC on our way back from south coast who had been stuck in Dover for five days.
    But the “wine o’ clock” was good. T.

I do wonder what that new outer marina will actually be like, not because I'd keep a boat there but just curiosity really. Presumably the same bunch of people will be in charge of it, they've always seemed ok when I've visited. The old one is of course a long way from the Western entrance so well away from any swell, but the entrance to the new one will be very much closer. I dare 'experts' have designed it all to ensure there will be little movement in it, but.....
    Not seen what the parking arrangements will be for the new one, will you be able to park close by? I also wonder how use of the inner marina (in the Wellington) will change, will access in and out through lock and lifting bridge be readily available? If so perhaps more will make use of it.
    Arriving and departing from Dover never seems to be a problem, all very professionally managed, just do exactly what you are told! Sea conditions outside are something else, you have to accept that you'll often have rough stuff outside even if it's better once you get clear away.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

Quote Originally Posted by gdallas View Post
    Anyone got any news or views on the new Dover marina? I might be interested... the website has a facility to sign up for updates but I am not sure it’s working. Is anyone here in the existing marina, and if so how do they find it? I don’t live too far away and I’m thinking about all sorts of options to move the boat to a place with more water than here

Thank you
    Graham
    Graham

Looking for a deep water marina, then check out Chatham Marina. I am biased as I berth there, but it has many good features compared to Dover.

Personally I would not want to have the hassle of getting to my boat in Dover when there are problems with the ferry links. Having visited Dover a number of times, it is an OK place, but having to always await the port control to enter or leave could also restrict your enjoyment of sailing, especially in rough weather. (Yes you do have to lock in to Chatham, but only on rare occasions is this longer than 20 minutes - but in calm waters.)

In the Medway you can just sail in the river, anchor in Stangate Creek or other places, visit Queenborough or yachts clubs. If you want to go any distance up the East Coast or along the North Kent coast, you can take the tide with you. By comparison from Dover you have open water immediately that, in my opinion, is always lumpy and uncomfortable to sail on. Places to visit close by are limited to Ramsgate for anytime access, Sandwich or Folkestone limited by tide, almost no anchorages that are comfortable, but on the other hand France is just a short sail away. I do know of someone who keeps his boat in Calais and the cost is tiny compared to UK prices.

I could go on, but I certainly would not move to Dover through choice.
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

Quote Originally Posted by tjbrace View Post
    But the “wine o’ clock” was good. T.
    MOST excellent!
    Larry Botheras

Quote Originally Posted by gdallas View Post
    Anyone got any news or views on the new Dover marina? I might be interested... the website has a facility to sign up for updates but I am not sure it’s working. Is anyone here in the existing marina, and if so how do they find it? I don’t live too far away and I’m thinking about all sorts of options to move the boat to a place with more water than here

Thank you
    Graham
    There will be full all tide access and great sailing waters from just outside the harbour. Turn left for the downs or right for plenty of uncrowded open water up towards dungeoness. Straight on for a bit of ship dodging towards france. Yes it gets rough just outside but only for about half a mile where the tide rips round the harbour wall but theres no hours of wending your way down river before finding sea room. Its a proper professional port with ferry cruise and cargo traffic and the port control people are spot on as long as you listen and do what they say.
    As for the town brighton it aint and its pretty rough but gets a lot better when you know where to go and where not to. Theres a lot of really interesting history anound Dover and great clifftop walks with some of the best sea views anywhere. And the world top ten castle. Who could ask for more? OK Im biased as I was born there.

Dover port control are more than excelent. They take notice of you and remember how you behave. They once gave us a green light to leave Eastern when Nord Pass deCalais was bowling down on us because they recognise that we always clear the entrance veery fast. Got a big blast from NPC..

The only down side of Dover is that Eastbourne is a long way away Calais and Blog are closer...and Ramsgit is what it is.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    Dover port control are more than excelent. They take notice of you and remember how you behave. They once gave us a green light to leave Eastern when Nord Pass deCalais was bowling down on us because they recognise that we always clear the entrance veery fast. Got a big blast from NPC..

The only down side of Dover is that Eastbourne is a long way away Calais and Blog are closer...and Ramsgit is what it is.
    I have to admit to getting a bit of a thrill when I get to Dover, not because of the town certainly, but because of the seagoing activity there. I don't think that I would choose it as my base but I might well do if road connections made it the best option.

Playing chicken with the ferries is part of the fun. On one occasion we heard a ferry calling for permission to leave its berth, to be told to wait because there was a yacht coming in - us, which made us chuckle for a while.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    I have to admit to getting a bit of a thrill when I get to Dover, not because of the town certainly, but because of the seagoing activity there. I don't think that I would choose it as my base but I might well do if road connections made it the best option.

Playing chicken with the ferries is part of the fun. On one occasion we heard a ferry calling for permission to leave its berth, to be told to wait because there was a yacht coming in - us, which made us chuckle for a while.
    Fully agree, play ball with Port Control and they get you in and out. I love to hear "make best speed"
    Larry Botheras

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast