Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Dover new marina

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    Dover port control are more than excelent. They take notice of you and remember how you behave. They once gave us a green light to leave Eastern when Nord Pass deCalais was bowling down on us because they recognise that we always clear the entrance veery fast. Got a big blast from NPC..

The only down side of Dover is that Eastbourne is a long way away Calais and Blog are closer...and Ramsgit is what it is.
    I completely agree with you about Dover - I was there last week and they were as efficient as ever - much much easier than a lock, and a lot more pleasant sailing than from Chatham (which is nice but where do you go from there?).

Looking through the fences there was some impressive engineering going on in the new marina and from what I can see it will be incredibly well sheltered as it won't be open to the main harbour at all. Instead they seem to be digging a canal to come through to the existing marina.

Ramsgate I love of course and never quite understand why people don't.

I've been in and out of Dover a fair few times now which I invariably do under sail rather than motor. Got challenged on it the first couple of times but they quickly sussed that I was considerably quicker under sail even when it involved tacking through the Eastern entrance! I'm going to be really interested in the new marina facilities when they're done as I live only a few miles up the road, it's just a shame there still won't be a suitable slipway that I can launch and recover from.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    I completely agree with you about Dover - I was there last week and they were as efficient as ever - much much easier than a lock, and a lot more pleasant sailing than from Chatham (which is nice but where do you go from there?).

Looking through the fences there was some impressive engineering going on in the new marina and from what I can see it will be incredibly well sheltered as it won't be open to the main harbour at all. Instead they seem to be digging a canal to come through to the existing marina.

Ramsgate I love of course and never quite understand why people don't.
    I too was there earlier this week. I think the "Canal" is to join up the existing Wellington Dock to the new Marina and the exit to the Harbour will be through the new Marina. The exiting tidal marina and Granville dock will be concreted over and be "re-developed".
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Rafiki View Post
    I too was there earlier this week. I think the "Canal" is to join up the existing Wellington Dock to the new Marina and the exit to the Harbour will be through the new Marina. The exiting tidal marina and Granville dock will be concreted over and be "re-developed".
    That is right. The Granville dock,tidal basin,tug/dredger/fuel berth area and the wick channel from the cruise berths will all be filled in and most of it will become the new cargo/container port or warehousing/lorry parking. The new cargo port will have three berths,one where the hoverport ramp was,one along the West side of the old Prince of Wales pier and one along the East side of the now wider pier.
    Downsides for us? This must have cost a fortune and I wonder how much they will try to get back from increased mooring fees. Dover tends to be a bit cheaper than other places in the area at present but----?
    Noise. A container port makes a fair bit of noise and I assume they will be working cargo 24 hours a day.The cranes will be about 100 yards upwind of the new marina.Beep beep beep beep klaxon beep beep beep klaxon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12