Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1353585960616263

Default Re: Golden Globe Race

Good video coverage of the race on The World Sailing Show February edition ..... https://youtu.be/WBQiPS-aGkA
    EDIT - GGR starts circa 0m46s in.
    Last edited by dunedin; 21-02-19 at 20:20.

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    Good video coverage of the race on The World Sailing Show February edition ..... https://youtu.be/WBQiPS-aGkA
    EDIT - GGR starts circa 0m46s in.
    Great link Thanks.

Coming very late on this but I think the non GPS rule is pretty silly if you ask me. The race itself is challenge enough without the added navigational nonsense,
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

Quote Originally Posted by savageseadog View Post
    Coming very late on this but I think the non GPS rule is pretty silly if you ask me. The race itself is challenge enough without the added navigational nonsense,
    Likewise the access to decent weather info.... if they had access to that then no need for an outsider.. Bob McLeod in Stanley, FI, in the case of Uku... to give you weather rooting advice...

I agree. Feels to me like the intention was to create a low tech 'stripped down self sufficient' event like the original race. The unintended consequence is that the committee have ended up micro managing the competitors which is far less in keeping with the original race than letting the competitors use a better way to work out where they are. (...and in this context the 'betterness' isn't much of an advantage anyway.)

I've been saying this all along, old hulls using modern technology apart from modern navigation and weather. All a bit of a farce really and does not prove anything.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1353585960616263