Page 43 of 55 FirstFirst ... 33383940414243444546474853 ... LastLast
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: Golden Globe Race

Nicely done. On these ships, as I mentioned earlier, the crew always drive the cranes, not the stevedores, so the crane driver had plenty of practice, which probably came in handy.

Now she can have her cup of tea. No milk, no sugar, but plenty of tea, and congee.

Cost of deviation to save life at sea will form a claim on the West of England P&I Club, which the TIAN FU is entered with.
    Last edited by Minn; 07-12-18 at 16:56.

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    What's that about burqas and niqabs...?

On the way home....

Isn’t she allowed on board? She’ll be exhausted by the time the rescue ship reaches it’s destination poor girl.
    Last edited by Wandering Star; 07-12-18 at 16:57.

quarintine regulations my dear man .

Usually South Coast but now West Coast of Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Nicely done.
    Cost of deviation to save life at sea will form a claim on the West of England P&I Club, which the TIAN FU is entered with.
    That's interesting. Do they then recover their loss from the yacht's insurers?

Quote Originally Posted by mainsail1 View Post
    What are the chances of getting ins for s/h in the Southern Ocean
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

Legally, there is no basis to do so under English law, because English law does not recognise the concept of "life salvage" - the Maritime Conventions Act states that it is the duty of seamen to save life at sea, and since a salvor must be "a volunteer" rather than being legally bound to help, there is no salvage claim for saving life. English law does not necessarily apply in the South Pacific but the TIAN FU is a Hong Kong ship and the law of Hong Kong is the same on this point.

However, you can sometimes ask nicely. One of "my" ships picked up the crew of a Filipino log carrier that capsized off the coast of Papua New Guinea, three years ago, and rather than claim on our own P&I Club (which happened to be the West of England) I wrote to the Standard P&I Club, for whom I once worked, with which that ship had been "entered", and asked if they would do the decent thing, which they did. It being a small world, I know the owner of the logger socially, which may have helped. On another occasion when I was working for the British outfit whose crest forms my avatar thingy, we deviated a ship for over a thousand miles at high speed to pick up the crew of a US Coast Guard cutter, who had parked their ship much too firmly on a barren reef between New Caledonia and nowhere in particular. We sent the bill to the USCG, and got a nice letter back, thanking us for our efforts which were in the finest traditions of the sea, but no dosh. So I commanded that copies of the letter be framed on the wheelhouse bulkheads of all our ships calling at US ports, and we had no trouble from the USCG for a good long time...

Here's the exact passage from the West of England Rule Book. Other Clubs have similar wordings:

Section 5
    Diversion expenses
    The net cost to the Member (over and above the expenses that would have been
    incurred but for the diversion or delay) of fuel, insurance, wages, stores, provisions
    and port charges:-

(a) during a diversion of the insured vessel reasonably undertaken for the purpose of
    search and rescue of persons at sea or for the purpose of securing the necessary
    treatment ashore of sick or injured persons aboard the insured vessel, or of landing
    stowaways, refugees or persons saved at sea or dead bodies; or

(b) while awaiting a substitute for a sick or injured seaman who has been landed
    ashore for treatment, if in the opinion of the Managers it was reasonable to
    engage such a substitute.
    Last edited by Minn; 07-12-18 at 18:05.

Usually South Coast but now West Coast of Scotland

Thanks for such a full reply.

suspect "too much information"!

From her twitter account, it seems the tea is OK.

+1. YBW at its best.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Any rough idea what order of costs could be involved?
    Should the organisers of this race be brought in to account?
    I am all for good sporting competition but the rules of this race have always seemed to me to be downright daft.

Page 43 of 55 FirstFirst ... 33383940414243444546474853 ... LastLast