Page 13 of 63 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast

Default Re: Golden Globe Race

I would love to know what VDH is doing that has put him so far ahead. The race seems to have separated into three groups but they are not separated by boat model. Is VDH an old fox or has he just benifited from “The rich get richer” syndrome?

There are many adages that may fit, but one in particular comes to mind - "He who makes the fewest mistakes wins."

VDH very deliberately reduced the size, weight and complexity of his rig, reasoning from experience that he'd spent far more of his time, on his previous circumnavigations, with at least one reef in.... compared with using full sail. And a smaller rig is far less liable to failure.

He ensured all his working sails could be managed from the cockpit, avoiding the many time-consuming and exhausting trips to the foredeck to change headsails. He tested and re-tested all his systems on the water during the previous winter until they were simply reliable. He employed the 'KISS' principle...

Freed from much unhelpful drudgery, he could concentrate his energy on route decision-making and sailing the boat closer to its potential than others.

Now, on the 'rolling road' that is the Cape to Tassie leg, he's chosen a latitude and is tracking down it. Others are gybing here, tacking there, and sailing further. VDH is 1100 miles ahead.

But perhaps that's all due to luck....
    http://www.ybw.com/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.png

Interesting watching the track of Mark Sinclair, who seems to have gone 'sightseeing' along the Eastern Cape coast. His last position and 'tail' shows him slowly making way SE'ly at 1.7 knots, from Cape St Blaize at Mossel Bai.

That's a perfectly sound headland from which to take a Departure ( trad nav ), but I do hope he's not mistaking that headland for several similar ones, including Cape Seal, Cape St Francis and Cape Recife.

And those waters, close inshore, are turbulent, shoal and with complex counter-currents. Not a good place to be hanging about....

I suspect he was trying to cross the Aghulas current, but wind was against tide. So he turned back

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    I suspect he was trying to cross the Aghulas current, but wind was against tide. So he turned back
    Also the shelf extends far out to sea until further up the coast.

I'm a little concerned that Marc Sinclair is at risk of becoming embayed. He's heading quite close inshore now, probably trying to find a favourable slant, and a peek at 'raw' Windy/Currents and Windy/Swell - which he will not have access to - show that both are pushing him inshore. Add to that a light and fickle head wind, and he could readily find himself, like many ships' masters before him, out of options on an ironbound coast.

It's night there, now. Not many lights. And if the wind dies, as it does....

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    I'm a little concerned that Marc Sinclair is at risk of becoming embayed. He's heading quite close inshore now, probably trying to find a favourable slant, and a peek at 'raw' Windy/Currents and Windy/Swell - which he will not have access to - show that both are pushing him inshore. Add to that a light and fickle head wind, and he could readily find himself, like many ships' masters before him, out of options on an ironbound coast. It's night there, now. Not many lights. And if the wind dies, as it does....
    He knows more being there than we do sitting at home warm and dry... Sounds like he's trying to pick up a counter current closer in and waiting for better wind to get across the aghulas current. Plus the Aghulas follows the 1000m shelf contour and gets narrower which is closer further east. https://soundcloud.com/goldenglobera...te-call-180918

What's the craic with Susie? Seems to have turned west this morning?
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Not on my PC...

I feel one is watching other people's vane gears in a demolition derby...

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Not on my PC...

I feel one is watching other people's vane gears in a demolition derby...
    Try putting your cursor on her boat. Click will centre it on the screen. Then zoom to say, +5. looks like a tracker glitch to me.

Ive got a Hydrovane. Im helping my next door neighbour fit an Atoms. Know which Id rather have.....

Page 13 of 63 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast