Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25303132333435

Default Re: Golden Globe Race

Digging around, this would seem to be the arrangement in question - but no guarantees....

Last edited by zoidberg; 06-11-18 at 22:51.

Personally, I think that the rules for this race that required a transom hung rudder was very restricting on the choice of boats. As a result I think that whilst well intentioned it has made the race more dangerous. They could have allowed skeg hung rudders that would have offered a much greater choice of vessels.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven Spades View Post
    Personally, I think that the rules for this race that required a transom hung rudder was very restricting on the choice of boats. . .
    I think you mean a rudder attached to a full keel. There was no requirement for it to be transom hung.

But the number of production boat designs in GRP with separate fin and skegs that were contemporaneous with the original Golden Globe, are quite limited. The Swan 36 would have been one (just) plus . . ?

The mass of designs like that didn't really come about until the late 60s and into the 1970s.

Quote Originally Posted by Applespider View Post
    I wonder if he drops a class, whether he'll drop out like Peche did. He has nothing to prove after all having been around the globe a few times. Having said that, if he plans on sailing her home, he may as well keep going and get the GGR support around it.

Is there not a closer port that he could go into - it feels like it's a long way north?
    Puerto Montt would be a far better choice..... better facilities for yachts.... a lot further south..... hard work in summer getting back down to this lat from the Valpo area.... enter either through Guafo or Chacao... take your pick...

There is some detailed commentary developing 'in another place' about what may well have been the technical reason behind J-L's partial rig failure - which may be relevant to many others - but, knowing how precious and sensitive some souls are hereabouts, I won't repeat it on here.

This underscores again that, if technically well-informed answers to current boaty problems are sought, this may not the the best, first port of call.

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    There is some detailed commentary developing 'in another place' about what may well have been the technical reason behind J-L's partial rig failure - which may be relevant to many others - but, knowing how precious and sensitive some souls are hereabouts, I won't repeat it on here.

This underscores again that, if technically well-informed answers to current boaty problems are sought, this may not the the best, first port of call.

Thanks for sparing us that. I think most folk are sick of the second guessing and finger pointing that goes on every time there is a marine upset.

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay.

+1.
    Kay Sarah Sarah
    57°51.42' N 5°29.44' W

For all those who abhor uncertainties and other than guaranteed-reliable actions, look away now.

For the rest of us, this from Jean-Luc VDF - translated, and courtesy of a network of ham radio enthusiasts....

"I had plenty of time to think about my situation during these four days of escaping the storm (220 miles lost to the North)." My mast is now extremely precarious due to my capsize. If I stop to make a repair, it will be only temporary. For Matmut to continue sailing, it will need more or less long to change to a new mast.

So I decided, to save my soul (dixit Moitessier), to continue my route non-stop and head for Les Sables d'Olonne.

As soon as the sea will allow it I will climb in the mast to secure it as best as possible with what I can use onboard. If I get dismasted, I have like all competitors a jury rig that will allow me to reach a port in full autonomy. I am no longer in racing mode but in safe mode. This is not the first time I will attempt to bring home a damaged boat. And if by miracle I get to Les Sables d'Olonne, I do not care about the ranking, at least I will have tried. I cross my fingers and thank all those who help me in this adventure."

Here's a little bit more, tonight....

Mark #Sinclair (via satellite) ROUTINE ENG CHKS NO SEAWATER DISCHARGE,SEACOCK OK,IMPELLOR?? /"Vérifications de routine du moteur faites pas d'eau salée, vanne ok, turbine??"
    And for just a little speculation ( look away now if you can't/won't muse )...

The problem could be crustacean growth in, round, over the raw water inlet. I and others have had that, restricting water flow. A long flexible stick - a sort of drain rodder - may be pushed down after the hose to the waterpump is disconnected ( above the waterline ) and some temporary blockage relief achieved. i'm aware that those with teardrop grills over the inlet will have more difficulty.

From Barry Pickthall...

"PENALTY
    In the spirit of the GOLDEN GLOBE RACE and noting the fact that J-L VDH received NO MATERIAL ASSISTANCE through the use of his GGR Satphone, GGR Organisers have applied an 18-hour time penalty to J-L VDH to be served in the GGR PENALTY BOX."

So what and where is the GGR PENALTY BOX.....?

Is that an ice-hockey thing? Something like 18 hours during a pit stop? It's a pity, in a way, that there isn't another 'pitstop' photo-drop ahead like Hobart.

I have the feeling that J-L VDH has more significant matters to focus on at present.

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25303132333435