Page 51 of 63 FirstFirst ... 41464748495051525354555661 ... LastLast

Default Re: Golden Globe Race

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    "Rools..... are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools"
    Speaking for myself, I'd have thought that a bunch of Corinthians sailing Rustler 36s round the world for little or no money might want to obey the rules so after they finished they could look themselves in the mirror and have the pride of doing it. One of these guys could get killed, and it seems insane to my they'd take that chance, but not do it 'properly'. If large sums of cash were involved I'd take a different view. Sadly, on the face of it that could be exactly what's happening.

Mind you, the competitors of the original race took pretty serious liberties with the rules, and not just the obvious one. Was it Chay Blythe who moored at a dock somewhere for repairs reasoning that as long as he didn't get off the boat he was ok. RKJ went aground near the entrance to Otago Harbour, anchored, got off the boat, and walked about on the seabed.
    Last edited by Mark-1; 11-12-18 at 15:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-1 View Post
    Speaking for myself, I'd have thought that a bunch of Corinthians sailing Rustler 36s round the world for little or no money might want to obey the rules so after they finished they could look themselves in the mirror and have the pride of doing it. One of these guys could get killed, and it seems insane to my they'd take that chance, but not do it 'properly'.
    I agree!

But, to be honest, those no-go-zones (42S in Indian and 46S in Pacific) do create a pretty a ridiculous challenge for Sextant-only-navigation:

- They are 4000nm and 2000nm long respectively! That's a really long "dangerous" shoreline!

- You want to be as far south as possible to get the wind (boats have struggled for wind in both oceans)

- You want to be as far south as possible because it's the shortest route (great circle and all that)

- You can't see it, they are no lights on it, it does not create a coastal swell, birds are not more frequent near it...it's totally invisible

So how do you do that?

My answer: You shouldn't have to. Move the zones to 55S and competitors would not need to be so close to them, because at least they would always have wind. Cape Horn is 56S anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by oschonrock View Post
    I agree!

But, to be honest, those no-go-zones (42S in Indian and 46S in Pacific) do create a pretty a ridiculous challenge for Sextant-only-navigation:

- They are 4000nm and 2000nm long respectively! That's a really long "dangerous" shoreline!

- You want to be as far south as possible to get the wind (boats have struggled for wind in both oceans)

- You want to be as far south as possible because it's the shortest route (great circle and all that)

- You can't see it, they are no lights on it, it does not create a coastal swell, birds are not more frequent near it...it's totally invisible

So how do you do that?

My answer: You shouldn't have to. Move the zones to 55S and competitors would not need to be so close to them, because at least they would always have wind. Cape Horn is 56S anyway!
    Very good point. I can't help wonder if it adds risk as competitors are forced to navigate more accurately and are therefore tempted to get fixes in situations where it might be safer to leave it for another day.
    Last edited by Mark-1; 11-12-18 at 15:54.

Getting round the world via the three capes is in it self a test why we are obsessed with making it a competition as if we can dominate the natural elements does it really matter what electronic stuff we have it’s a maybe once in a life time adventure and each sailor will take his or her own reward,making it a race with rules belittles the greatness of the sea

Quote Originally Posted by Wansworth View Post
    Getting round the world via the three capes is in it self a test why we are obsessed with making it a competition as if we can dominate the natural elements does it really matter what electronic stuff we have it’s a maybe once in a life time adventure and each sailor will take his or her own reward,making it a race with rules belittles the greatness of the sea
    Fair point. But perhaps a matter of philosophy and preference?

- The original was a race.

- Limiting equipment is common in many forms of competition.

- Meant to be "old school" with limited equipment - avoids an arms race. Although with the number of other requirements actually it's turned out to be quite expensive anyway.

Entrants do have a choice. What you described, which I think is very valid too, is more similar to La Longue Route:

https://www.longueroute2018.com/

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    "Rools..... are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools"

I've heard that said on a few occasions. I know several boaty racers who consider 'The Racing Rules of Sailing' to be an arena, where the last man standing wins the argument. I sailed with and against a barrister, over several years, who lived by the code of 'Thou shalt not get caught'. On one occasion, in the pre-start of a Fastnet Race, it emerged his propeller had fallen off. He continued the Race, made no Declaration, and when asked about that 'informally', simply said "Prove it!"

For those who don't know, that conferred a significant speed advantage.
    Uh Oh! I fear an "in gear, out of gear, feathering blade" spat about to land in this thread
    Kay Sarah Sarah
    57°51.42' N 5°29.44' W

Quote Originally Posted by Motor_Sailor View Post
    Do you have any evidence that he's cheating and contravening the very essence of the race?
    It was a joke
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Sorry: British humour, or an attempt at it.
    The Crowhurst option perhaps?
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

An eventful day or two for the challengers.

Looks like Capn Coconut has wisely retired. The pictures of the ton of barnacles on the bottom of Igors boat explain a lot, and Istvan advised to go south to get out of the worst of a storm even though this puts him well into the prohibited box. I like the idea of safety first.......

I imagine that most of us would consider we 'know the ropes'..... metaphor or otherwise.

Here, then, is a question for those who really do know their ropes.

Below is a pic of a packed-for-use Jordan Series Drogue. The bright-eyed among us will spot that a large Figure-Of-Eight-On-A-Bight has been made to form a loop, or bight, and the tail is not buried but seized with a whipping to the standing part, with some shrink wrap material.

The sources I've been able to consult - e.g. itrsonline.org - suggest that such an arrangement is likely to lead to a loss of available linear strength of somewhere between 15%-35% ( provided the Fo8 has been tied very well ). Then there's the use of interlocking 'cinch hitches' further along which may or may not be joining ropes of similar material/diameter.characteristics. ( See example below )

None of the commercial users of rope for slinging/lifting/recovery/towage, etc. I know of use ropes which terminate in anything other than professionally-spliced eyes.... for best ultimate strength.

Perhaps there's a question or two to be asked here.

Edit: From Samson Ropes' site.....
    Samson recommends splicing as the preferred rope termination method. Knots can significantly decrease a ropes strength while, in most cases, splicing maintains 100% of the specified rope strength. Splice terminations are used in all our ropes to determine new and unused tensile strengths.
    Last edited by zoidberg; 12-12-18 at 22:10.

Page 51 of 63 FirstFirst ... 41464748495051525354555661 ... LastLast