Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 355
  1. #81
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    104

    Default Re: Golden Globe Race

    I know the guy is extremely experienced, but a telescopic alloy tilller seems a strange choice for that sort of voyage? A honking thick steel one maybe. Possibly a bit too keen on the weight saving? Not sure if he'll continue once he gets to Cape Town if he's completely out of the race? Seems like he was in it to win it and it's not like he's never sailed around the world before...

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    On the Celtic Fringe
    Posts
    12,719

    Default Re: Golden Globe Race

    Quote Originally Posted by SV Kittiwake View Post
    I know the guy is extremely experienced, but a telescopic alloy tilller seems a strange choice for that sort of voyage? A honking thick steel one maybe. Possibly a bit too keen on the weight saving? Not sure if he'll continue once he gets to Cape Town if he's completely out of the race? Seems like he was in it to win it and it's not like he's never sailed around the world before...
    Perhaps he was banking on the wind vane doing all the steering?
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    104

    Default Re: Golden Globe Race

    Wasn't the wind vane connected to the tiller and what broke it?

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    On the Celtic Fringe
    Posts
    12,719

    Default Re: Golden Globe Race

    Quote Originally Posted by SV Kittiwake View Post
    Wasn't the wind vane connected to the tiller and what broke it?
    Not sure how his wind vane works. I am taking a good look at the Hydrovane at the boat show as I like the fact it is seperate from the boats steerage system.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    104

    Default Re: Golden Globe Race

    I thought he had a Beaufort wind vane that connects to the tiller.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlantic
    Posts
    17,532

    Default Re: Golden Globe Race

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Not sure how his wind vane works. I am taking a good look at the Hydrovane at the boat show as I like the fact it is seperate from the boats steerage system.
    Hydrovane is Neptunes gift to sailors. Ours is called Robbie the Rudder.

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1,547

    Default Re: Golden Globe Race

    Interesting that Philippe Peche - he of the broken tiller who was reduced to sailing at around 3 knots, to make for Cape Town - has for the past couple of days been heading east at 'hull speed', while Jean-Luc Van Den Heede, without a broken tiller AFAIK, ahead of him continues east at - for the past 2-3 days - a lesser speed which is not hull speed for those Rustlers.

    WIHIH?

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    3,368

    Default Re: Golden Globe Race

    Suzie Goodall is having problems with her boat apparently the chain plates have lifted 2mm above the deck which sounds ominous and she is not yet in the Southern Ocean.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    956

    Default Re: Golden Globe Race

    Quote Originally Posted by Seven Spades View Post
    . . . and she is not yet in the Southern Ocean.
    Yes the first skirmished with the southern ocean seems to have seen a fair number of casualties already.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlantic
    Posts
    17,532

    Default Re: Golden Globe Race

    Website is hard to get on this morning. Hope she gets something sorted out.

Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to