Thread: Sail away

Default Sail away

Could anyone tell me off any books. I can read About people who just gave up everything bought a boat and sailed away with no experiance at all thank you would appreciate your hel

Default Re: Sail away

shrimpy is the classic, free pdf download online if you search for it.

Thanks for that will see if I can get the book as old school myself much prefer an actual book to read

I met Shane Acton and had a look at Shrimpy. I also bought a signed copy of his book from him but I can't find it now. He was a remarkable individual.
    "It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness."

Before it was available as a pdf it used to cost about £30-£50 a copy. I found a copy in a chandlers of all place, priced at a hefty £5.50. After searching for it for a year, I snapped it up and scurried back to the boat to read it. When I opened it, I saw it was signed not only by Shane, but by Iris Derungs as well. Result!

Strictly speaking, it's not a sell up and sail away book, as he didn't have a lot to sell up in the first place. Shrimpy was an 18' plywood boat so it may not be relevant to you! Another is Moitessier's "The Long Way", which is beautifully written rather than a dry version of the logbook. He didn't exactly sell up and sail away, but he certainly sailed off and left his old life (and wife) behind.

There are also a few 'sell up and sail' guides available, if you're actually looking for advice, rather than adventure

Quote Originally Posted by james-will1 View Post
    Could anyone tell me off any books. I can read About people who just gave up everything bought a boat and sailed away with no experiance at all thank you would appreciate your hel
    The bestof them dont write books about it. You'll find them in the harbours and anchorages you get to