Default Yanmar yse 8hp filter

Hi just bought a sailboat first time starting engine was fine but previous owner never told me i had to turn a lever near the fuel tank and my engine ran out of fuel and now won't start I now now need to bleed the air out of the fuel pipes but not sure which screws on the engjne i have to crack open to let out the air out upon looking on youtube it seems everyone talks about a secondary fuel filter but i cannot find another one can anyone please help

Default Re: Yanmar yse 8hp filter

Ages since I had a YSE8, and I can't recall any fuel filter. Are the Youtube vids. referring to the secondary filter on later Yanmars?
    To bleed, IIRC, slacken off the pipe connection to the injector, put speed control to maximum, decompress and then wind the starting handle until clear fuel emerges from injector union. My installation was gravity fed, so there was no primary fuel pump that I can remember.
    Might be helpful to slacken the delivery to the HP pump prior to this to clear the pipe from the tank.
    Hope that helps!
    Add, also, IIRC, when the injector is working correctly, the sound can be heard as a fairly sharp click.
    Last edited by earlybird; 15-07-18 at 19:46.

Follow the feed from the tank. It may go to a primary filter then To the pump then the filter then injector pump then injector. Bleed in that order. You should hear a tick tick from the pump with ignition on. Make sure the throttle is wide open.

Thanks for replying I don't think there's a filter between the pump and injector pump but I will look again.
    Ref the tick tick noise will this be from the pump or injector pump

Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    You should hear a tick tick from the pump with ignition on.
    Do we know if it has an electric fuel pump?

Think he is refering to the 'creek' or ' week' noise the injector makes when spraying after one has got the air out.
    OP has mistaken what the noise should come from.
    DW

Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    Think he is refering to the 'creek' or ' week' noise the injector makes when spraying after one has got the air out.
    OP has mistaken what the noise should come from.
    DW
    Why say "with ignition on"?

OP has not mentioned an electric pump, that was assumed by Spyro. If it DOES have one, then bleeding will be easier. But I doubt it has.

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    Why say "with ignition on"?
    Yes I was assuming it had an electric pump, my ysb8 had one but perhaps the older YSEs were gravity fed