Default Starter Motor Woes!

Hi, I am looking for thoughts and comments on a starter motor issue.
    The original starter motor has been on the engine for years without any problems, however this year one of the solenoid terminals worked loose causing intermittent starting so I replaced the starter motor with a shiny new aftermarket starter supposedly for my engine.
    This new starter has been working fine for weeks until this weekend, when whilst out cruising a sudden whining nose was heard. I turned off the engine the noise stopped but a smell of burning was quite strong. Now - I have twin petrolís so not good!!! I managed to limp back to my mooring on one engine.
    On inspection I removed the ďnewĒ starter motor and sure enough it didnít look healthy and the bendix / pinion gear was damaged. The Flywheel looks as though itís managed to come through unscathed.
    Replacing the starter motor is not an issue; I just wonít be a cheapskate this time. But I am wondering what may have gone wrong? It looks like that somehow the solenoid activated the bendix! The wiring around the start circuit all looks good the ignition switch seems to meter all o/k. So I am thinking that the aftermarket starter was just not suitable for my engine and I will replace the main battery isolating switch and the ignition switch to be on the safe side.
    Any thoughts or possibly something else that could have caused this problem?
    Being a petrol boat I am paranoid about safety so this incident was unsettling to say the least....

Default Re: Starter Motor Woes!

What kind of starter? Bendix or pre engage

It’s a Valeo pre-engaged starter .

Quote Originally Posted by moresparks View Post
    It’s a Valeo pre-engaged starter .
    In that case ther is no Bendix
    What can happen is

1 Ignition key gets stuck in start position, ie spring return failed.
    Pre engage sol stays on holding starter motor on, ultimately getting driven by engine

2 ignition key start contact get fused on, read above

3 start on keyswitch operates a relay (heavy current of pre engage sol) contact fuse together, read above

4 pre engage sol sticky and jams in on pos, holding starter motor on

5 contacts at end of pre engage sol fuse together, holding on starter mot

6 sliding forks operated by pre engage sol which push pinion gear into flywheel are sticky and have held engaged with flywheel.

7 mis mesh of pinion gear with flywheel (it only takes one tooth difference)

Enough to be going on with?

Can anyone advise where to find a diagram how to connect starter motor to electrics. New starter motor in place but dont know which wires go where. BMC 2.2 Diesel engine. Thanx